Current PC config vs New?

Moderators: HeneryH, TimG

redradman123

Post by redradman123 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:15 am

Hello, I am currently using my old gaming PC and have for over 5 years. I wanna finally retire it and replace it with a "server tower". My current system is https://pcpartpicker.com/user/redradman ... iew=hrhV6h
I want to replace it with some towers that were given to me. Dell T130 or Lenovo TS150 or, is it best to just keep running on my old PC? I am thinking about Swapping the CPU From the Lenovo to the Dell and using the Dell
Dell T130
Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5
2x16GB DDR4-2133
Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller H730
Lenovo TS150
Intel Xeon E3-1275 v5
4x8GB DDR4-2133
LSI SAS9340-8i RAID Controller
TimG

Re: Current PC config vs New?

Post by TimG » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:54 am

I don't know the Xeon cpu but people here do use them. Is the old AMD cpu struggling with BI5 ? Have you done a cpu comparison check to see if it would improve things ? "8350 vs Xeon E3-1275" should find it.
If you already have these pc's and they are running, you could try adding BI5 in demo mode on them. You should be able to import your cameras from the other system. Have a look at power usage as these are 24/7 machines.
Demo mode does have restrictions though and I don't have a list. Note that you can't run two pc's with one BI5 licence.
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:04 am

The 1275 seems to be only on average around 8% faster but will generally be better for multitasking. Another thing to consider is if those PCs are server based which they seem to be based upon the disk controllers you’ve stated then they will suck more power.

All in all if it were me I’d personally not bother or I’d consider selling all the old PCs and then use that money to buy something like an Intel 8th generation or above desktop.

I run an i5-6500 HP desktop and it idles at around 20% with 8 cams and is also economical in terms of its power usage.
TimG

Post by TimG » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:54 am

That's a fair assessment. My present i7-8700k BI5 pc was built with that logic. It runs at 4% cpu with nine cameras, and I have a box full of PTZ's to fit if I stay in the same house :geek:
Forum Moderator.
redradman123

Post by redradman123 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:38 am

TimG wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:54 am I don't know the Xeon cpu but people here do use them. Is the old AMD cpu struggling with BI5 ? Have you done a cpu comparison check to see if it would improve things ? "8350 vs Xeon E3-1275" should find it.
If you already have these pc's and they are running, you could try adding BI5 in demo mode on them. You should be able to import your cameras from the other system. Have a look at power usage as these are 24/7 machines.
Demo mode does have restrictions though and I don't have a list. Note that you can't run two pc's with one BI5 licence.
I recently upgraded to BI5 and saw I bit more “performance” but cpu usage is very high. Those old AM3 chips are power hungry and outdated, reason I wanna “upgrade”. Only thing running on the pc is BI5. It’s the only reason it still running lol, retired gaming on it 5 years ago
TimG

Post by TimG » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:20 pm

I recently upgraded to BI5 and saw I bit more “performance” but cpu usage is very high. Those old AM3 chips are power hungry and outdated, reason I wanna “upgrade”. Only thing running on the pc is BI5. It’s the only reason it still running lol, retired gaming on it 5 years ago
1. If you have only just upgraded to BI5, do your cameras have sub-streams, and do you have them working ? Massive cpu load reduction. That and direct to disk recording. Intel gpu acceleration is no longer required with sub-streams from what I saw on my i7-8700k pc, so the Xeon or even the 8350 no longer fail there.
2. AMD 8350 - Yes, I have a spare 8350 server. I had replaced it with a i5-3330 which surprised me with BI5 by being slightly faster and reducing the cpu % load ! Must give it away :lol:
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:31 pm

redradman123 wrote:
TimG wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:54 am I don't know the Xeon cpu but people here do use them. Is the old AMD cpu struggling with BI5 ? Have you done a cpu comparison check to see if it would improve things ? "8350 vs Xeon E3-1275" should find it.
If you are going to upgrade then I’d be looking for at minimum a 20% uplift in performance which you are not going to get with the Xeon based servers.