Playback Window / Recording Limitations?

General discussion about Blue Iris
CCTVGuy1

Playback Window / Recording Limitations?

Post by CCTVGuy1 »

Hi,

Does the UI have an inherent resolution limitation?

I'm running 4k cameras with 4k mainstream and 1080P sub stream, yet I see in the BI settings the highest resolution for the UI available to me is 1080P (it's actually greyed out automatically whilst being fixed at this).

1. Does this mean that even when I'm playing back the mainstream, the highest quality the UI will display is 1080P? I ask because sometimes if I want to zoom in on a subject, I've noticed the quality falls off very quickly, and given I'm recording in camera at almost 17,000kbs @ 4k, I wonder if the actual plyaback screen is limiting me to subs stream resolution.

2. By the same token, the stream information shows the mainstream coming in at around 3,000kbs despite the camera recording rate being set to 17,000kbs. Is this some severe in camera compression before transmission or is this again some limitation in BI that's restricting the bit rate of the stream (I have re-encoding turned off in BI).

3. Finally, a request, when setting the settings for the picture in camera, I've noticed that on playback in BI there's a cosniderable difference in sharpness and thus aretefacts when clicking between sub stream and mainstream (UI view and fullscreen view). This can make it very difficult to set the in camera expsoure settings as you think you have it right but then find the mainstream oversharpened for full of artefacts. Given the mainstream is the most improtant stream from a recording POV, would it not be a good idea to have some button that would allow you to view the mainstream in the UI window instead of the substream so when tinkering with the in camera exposure, you could see the result on the mainstream and thus get an accurate adjustment on that instead of the sub stream?

If some found that then results in too soft a substream, why not simply include sharpening exposure tools for the UI that only act on the substream and UI not recording, so you can adjust to the mainstream but have the UI tweak the sub stream playback in the UI for when you're live watching not full screen.

Thanks.
CCTVGuy1

Re: Playback Window / Recording Limitations?

Post by CCTVGuy1 »

No-one from the development team able to reply / shed some light on this?
louyo

Post by louyo »

1. This is dictated by the camera's main and substreams. When you look at a group of cameras, you will see the substream and that resolution is also shown on the camera's video page. If you double click the camera's image, it will go full screen at the main resolution, after a short delay. If you go back to the setting pages, it will have updated to the main stream resolution. BI should only be limited by the settings in your camera.
2. Probably dictated by what compression you are using 264/265. My 1080 stream shows about 95kbs.
3. Suggest maybe turn off substream while making adjustments? Suggestions have to go to the developers.
4. This is a user to user forum. On the "about" page of BI settings, there is a "get support" button.

Suggest you connect via the web UI, you can full screen a camera and then look at various resolutions. I only use the BI console for making settings, all else via the Web Server
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

CCTVGuy1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:22 pm No-one from the development team able to reply / shed some light on this?
Dev team does not participate here.
CCTVGuy1

Post by CCTVGuy1 »

Ok thank you guys for the help and replies.

It's just a pity no-one from the development team monitors the forum.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

CCTVGuy1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:42 pm It's just a pity no-one from the development team monitors the forum.
No, its not. They are focused on development and supporting the resolution of submitted trouble tickets.