Newbie Camera Recommendation

photocrazy
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by photocrazy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 am

I am planning to install 5 cameras with BI and would like to get some camera recommendations. My priority is best nightvision. In terms of resolution, is 4K a necessity or 1080p is sufficient?

Thanks in advance for the time and effort.
HeneryH
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by HeneryH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Cameras with better night vision tend to have a bit fewer pixels that those with lower quality night vision. You can find cheaper 8k cameras out there now but their night vision is likely not up to snuff.

I have the older Dahua Turret cameras and am very happy with them. I can create a temp account on my BI instance so that you can check them out and compare.

Maybe someone else can create an account for you and let you check out their cameras. Or maybe I can post a full quality video of a night scene to YouTube.

I have heard that Turret cameras are less susceptible to spider webs and they don't have any IR reflections. I've not had any problems with my Turrets.
photocrazy
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by photocrazy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:05 am

HeneryH wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:46 pm
Cameras with better night vision tend to have a bit fewer pixels that those with lower quality night vision. You can find cheaper 8k cameras out there now but their night vision is likely not up to snuff.

I have the older Dahua Turret cameras and am very happy with them. I can create a temp account on my BI instance so that you can check them out and compare.

Maybe someone else can create an account for you and let you check out their cameras. Or maybe I can post a full quality video of a night scene to YouTube.

I have heard that Turret cameras are less susceptible to spider webs and they don't have any IR reflections. I've not had any problems with my Turrets.
Thanks for the offer to help. I believe Dahua and Hikvision are widely preferred brands in this forum. Would you be able to link any good models from those?
HeneryH
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by HeneryH » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm

I'll try to pull together the latest lineup and references.

There will be:

Same 2M sensor on each of these below but with different features:
  • Fixed focal length
  • Variable optical zoom
  • Variable optical zoom with sound
  • Maybe other types of features add on
Dahua now has 4M sensors but I would have to check on their night vision capability, they were originally noticeably worse night performance.
photocrazy
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by photocrazy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:49 am

HeneryH wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm
I'll try to pull together the latest lineup and references.

There will be:

Same 2M sensor on each of these below but with different features:
  • Fixed focal length
  • Variable optical zoom
  • Variable optical zoom with sound
  • Maybe other types of features add on
Dahua now has 4M sensors but I would have to check on their night vision capability, they were originally noticeably worse night performance.
Thank you very much
photocrazy
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by photocrazy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:30 am

Wondering if you had a chance to look at the cameras
HeneryH
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by HeneryH » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm

I'm sorry. The model numbers have all changed and I have to do some more research to get familiar with them.
User avatar
reddawg
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:29 am

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by reddawg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:04 pm

photocrazy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 am
I am planning to install 5 cameras with BI and would like to get some camera recommendations. My priority is best nightvision. In terms of resolution, is 4K a necessity or 1080p is sufficient?
If nightvision is a priority, I would go with the Dahua Starlight series. Dahua places the "Starlight" name on cameras that have a .009 LUX rating or lower. I have been told the Dahua Technology Pro Series N52BF3Z 5MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera has fantastic nightvision. If $$$ are an issue, you can't go wrong with a Dahua 2MP Starlight bullet or turret.
Blue Iris v5.3.7.13 | Win10 x64 version 20H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
User avatar
LyndMc
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:12 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by LyndMc » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm

I for one would not recommend Amcrest. I've has (2) 2M wireless cameras for about 4 years now and honestly I've never been able to keep them online for more than 2 weeks at a time EVER! I have to cycle power on the camera sometimes every day, sometimes once a week, but never less frequent that once every 2 weeks. They've been like that since new, I've had numerous chats with their tech support since new and no resolution. About a week after the warranty ran out one crapped out all together, Amcrest wouldn't replace it. I've read many others that had the same issue and most never got a resolution.

I've got friends with cameras that cost half as much and they are rock solid. I have the cameras set to reset themselves if they go off line, sometimes that works about half of the time, but still never exceeds the 2 week maximum uptime. These are security cameras that can't be trusted. Now my brother and his employer has some, that's why I bought mine, theirs work just fine.

My line of sight wireless distance is about 15', so interference isn't the issue.

UPDATE.. I still stand by my reported issues other than the camera that completely crapped out. Turns out that somehow I configured my wired and my wireless IP the same. When you do that, wired always wins. Once I fixed that, my "dead" camera came back to life.... operator error! As far as power issues, I installed GOSUND WIFI plugs and I cycle power twice a day on every Amcrest camera. I still get an occasional offline issue, but its way better that it was.
Last edited by LyndMc on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photocrazy
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by photocrazy » Mon May 11, 2020 4:48 am

reddawg wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:04 pm
photocrazy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 am
I am planning to install 5 cameras with BI and would like to get some camera recommendations. My priority is best nightvision. In terms of resolution, is 4K a necessity or 1080p is sufficient?
If nightvision is a priority, I would go with the Dahua Starlight series. Dahua places the "Starlight" name on cameras that have a .009 LUX rating or lower. I have been told the Dahua Technology Pro Series N52BF3Z 5MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera has fantastic nightvision. If $$$ are an issue, you can't go wrong with a Dahua 2MP Starlight bullet or turret.
I checked the prices for that model and it is on the expensive side. Since I need 5 cameras, I am looking on a cheaper pricepoint. That is why I am willing to settle for 1080P
Post Reply