NEST Camera Support

HeneryH

Re: NEST Camera Support

Post by HeneryH »

Yep, BI does not sense the doorbell itself but could be set to record or trigger on motion.

I record 24x7 and have triggers insert flags into the full stream to notate times of interest.

I like to have 24x7 recording because disk space is relatively cheap now and I have had a non-zero number of instances where triggers missed an event.

You actually MAY be able to get the doorbell to work with some type of API to BI but I never looked into that.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

TimG wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:01 pm We do seem to have an odd issue on this forum where somebody will claim they have one of these locked down devices working fantastically, but they never respond to our standard request to explain their settings.
I've also noticed this. Has always bugged me.
Could it possibly be trolling from... "The other site that shall be nameless"?

TimG wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:01 pm My personal thoughts on ptz cameras, are that they will always be looking the wrong way when something happens. They are excellent for a good look around, but can't replace multiple fixed cameras.
I use several wide angle ptz cameras, leaving them in one default home position to cover the area around my house. Then, I have several presets that I move them to - depending on what I hear going bump in the night/day. But, I always move them back to the home preset.
Six, or, one-half dozen of another!
TexARC

Post by TexARC »

I have to think that if BI could find a method to incorporate the Nest and Ring cameras' output that would be a very good marketing move. Imagine how many disillusioned people like me would jump at an alternative. And yes, I bought BI and have been trying to figure out a way to recognize/install the NEST cams, to no avail. :(
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Good idea. Have you sent it to BI support? The more inquiries they get, the better the chance of it happening.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I have to think that if BI could find a method to incorporate the Nest and Ring cameras' output that would be a very good marketing move.
It sounds so easy, but all it would take to break this "method", is a firmware update to the cameras. They want your money.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Breaking any encryption or hacking it would not only be very difficult but would also violate the DMCA laws. Maybe ok for one person but not for a company.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yes, I remember the wise words of one of our own very active members:
You could sell the Nest cameras on a reseller market.
Which he followed up with this equally valid point:
Any use of Nest with BI will be a hack at best and you would still need to keep your subscription going because all of the current hacks make the cloud Nest service act like the actual camera. You stream from Nest Service not stream from Nest Cameras.
Blue Iris is a very capable solution that can work with many different types of IP cameras using different protocols. It even works with an old Picolo Pro pci card to allow me to use my old analogue cameras at their maximum resolution. What it can't do, is connect to something that has deliberately been designed to be non compatible, so that you need to buy in to their pay pay pay ecosystem.
Forum Moderator.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

Nest support in Blue Iris!!
Attachments
WREN1.20191231_164430666b.jpg
WREN1.20191231_164430666b.jpg (150.39 KiB) Viewed 9658 times
TimG

Post by TimG »

You've cracked it !!!

No, not the eggs.
Forum Moderator.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

LOOPYLOOP wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:50 pm Nest support in Blue Iris!!
without paying for a nest plan?