Network traffic causes screen to flash off intermittently

General discussion about Blue Iris
tardigrade

Network traffic causes screen to flash off intermittently

Post by tardigrade »

Not sure if a symptom or part of the problem but I have a USB NIC for my camera switch (mainNIC for internet). As the traffic increases my computer screen flashes off. More cameras I add the more it flashes off. I think something else is causing it though, even with the USB NIC unplugged it still is flashing off but so quickly it's barely noticed.
mpoczynek

Re: Network traffic causes screen to flash off intermittently

Post by mpoczynek »

Just curious. Why are the cameras and the Internet connection (assuming the router) not all fed into the switch? Why do you have 2 NICs?
tardigrade

Post by tardigrade »

In an attempt to isolate cameras on their own network independent from home network. The USB NIC is connected to a POE switch serving only cameras,
mcvoss

Post by mcvoss »

tardigrade wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm In an attempt to isolate cameras on their own network independent from home network. The USB NIC is connected to a POE switch serving only cameras,
I'm curious for my own knowledge as to why keep them seperate, so Home network isn't slowed down?

I have 15 cameras, ranging from 4MP to 8Mp on my home network and I don''t notice any slow downs.

Thanks,

MIchael
tardigrade

Post by tardigrade »

Security, organization?

Just noticed CPU usage is maxing out at 100%, with BI using over half (60%+) the resources. I thought this I7 8700 3.5 would be plenty. I just unplugged the last two cameras I added, and BI usage dropped 200% down to 20% CPU. Hopefully I have something set wrong. It was not supposed to be this resource intensive. Screen lashing has slowed too. I also stopped McAfee, it was showing 20% CPU. Seems to be more stable now, just flashing at slower interval. Hmmm...
mpoczynek

Post by mpoczynek »

Anything with the words "McAfee" or "Norton" should never be installed on any computer.

Are you running sub-streams to all or some of the cameras? Running at full-res. can really bog a system down.
TimG

Post by TimG »

1. Have you added the usual BI5 exceptions to your Anti-Virus ? See the help file.
2. Two NICs works very well here. It stops your chosen cameras calling their mothership.
3. Can you move the USB NIC to a different port to see if that helps ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
tardigrade

Post by tardigrade »

For the now, I turned McAfee off. Been messing around with dual and sub-streams but that this is clear as mud. In the meantime my cameras stopped triggering. Last night I got an hour of leaves blowing and cars driving by but it would not pick me up walking through the yard. Even a couple of cameras that have been up and working well stopped triggering so I'm kind of at a loss. Even picked up an opossum and the neighbors cat but think that was a happenstance during a leaf recording.