Camera Gift

Matts1984

Camera Gift

Post by Matts1984 »

Hey community, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience integrating any of the following cameras into BI. Ordinarily I wouldn't buy any of these but as the 'Subject' says, I have the opportunity to pick one as a gift - unfortunately I can ONLY pick from one of these three, or no gift at all. Can I get any of them to work?

Petcube Camera - https://petcube.com/cam/
Kasa Spot Indoor Surveillance Camera - https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/s ... spot-kc400
Ring Video Doorbell - https://ring.com/products/video-doorbell-wired

My initial search on their product sites makes it look like all 3 are pretty proprietary and are designed to work with their own app ecosystem. I am making a bit of an educated guess on the exact models. This is a vendor promotional giveaway thing so I'm not given super specific info.

Anyway, open to thoughts. If none of these will work, my initial thought is the Kasa or Petcube and just use their app for occasional monitoring of dogs, etc when not home. I've kind of wanted an indoor wifi nanny-cam that I could move around when needed, but no one seems to make a decent one. The other option is I pick whatever someone else may want, but I don't know anyone that wants anything currently.....
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
TimG

Re: Camera Gift

Post by TimG »

You know the score with cameras and BI5, so if there is no info, can you just get the one that is easiest to sell :idea:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yep, thats what I'm thinking too :)
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

The pet cube cam as in indoor cam does look nicely designed and sexy, yes I know
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Thats the one I picked! Hasn't come yet 8-)
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

OK it came today... I'd like to report on the 'Petcube Cam'

Meh..... don't get.

It works fairly well as long as I'm on wifi (doesn't have to be the same SSID) but if you're remote, on a cellular network, etc... forget it. The camera tries to open a direct UDP stream and thats just going to have iffy success no matter where you are. At home, it was pretty quick (no lag) and the audio isn't great - certainly not a THX certified system - but it worked 2way pretty well.

Of course on the free tier they limit it pretty significantly and want you to pay quite a bit for longer recordings. That and the whole principle of BI and our fan club is that we want on-prem recordings without the cloud being involved and trusting someone else with your content (and much lower support costs). While direct live streams did occur, they record content in the cloud.

Long story short - at least I got a decent USB-C cable out of it!
TimG

Post by TimG »

LOL :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.