New IP cameras recommendations

lb85

New IP cameras recommendations

Post by lb85 »

Hi guys,

I moved to the house and built new hardwired network with dedicated VLAN only for surveillance LAN with Blue Iris 5. So, I need 100% compatible cameras, dome style only, 1 outdoor and 1 indoor.

Additional features needed:

1080P (1gb LAN)
Night vision
PoE
Hardwired only
Pretty slim

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! :D
HeneryH

Re: New IP cameras recommendations

Post by HeneryH »

Sorry, why would you need gbps network in an IP camera?

IP Camera Bandwidth Requirement

Code: Select all

Resolution 	           H.264 	                    MJPEG
1MP (1280*720)         2 Mbps per camera     6 Mbps per camera
2MP (1920*1080)       4 Mbps per camera     12 Mbps per camera
4MP (2560*1440)       8 Mbps per camera     24 Mbps per camera
lb85

Post by lb85 »

Good question. I meant that I have standard internal speed - 1000 mbps for reference.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

That is cool, but you don't need a gbps camera. Any 100mbps camera will work fine on a gbps switch/hub.

Didn't want to setting unrealistic requirements.

Serious question on the dome style. I really don't mean to dismiss your requirements but I am asking hopefully thought provoking questions...

For the outdoor camera, domes are usually less robust with weather and bug problems than a turret. Have you considered one of them?

I really love this camera. Optical zoom, audio, great day and night clarity for $136 from Andy (Empire Tech)
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ ... tail/37197

HomeFront

Post by HomeFront »

Not to dissuade you from your vision of what you want set up, by no means. But, as an owner of bullet, dome, and multi-head styles, I'm just letting you know that domes can give you a bit of a fisheye distortion just by the nature of their coverings. I like domes, My trusty Avigilon 2.0-H3-DC1 never lets me down, but my bullet-style cameras offer a clearer and correct image. They are in good enclosures. Me, I kinda like the idea of enclosed bullets outside, and domes inside.

Make sure they can dual stream and are onvif compliant, get a larger lens chip sensor and larger diameter lenses. Know domes come in various mounting styles: flush ring (needs about a 6-inch diameter hole cut into the wall or ceiling), exterior mount where the clear dome and the base itself is mounted against an uncut wall (I think best kind, but less slim, but outside may need conduit), and teardrop, where it screws onto a steel or aluminum holder that lets it hang down like a lamp (the teardrop mounts can cost but avoid needing steel conduit.

Me, I like Avigilon, but for someone new to it, think about American Dynamics domes for cheaper, Samsung and Bosch domes for better, with IR LED light rings included, and still pretty cheap. And yeah, they're right; no need for giga-speed. Me, I got a lot of gig-speed stuff setup at first, found it was really uneccessary, But, if you do start adding a bunch of HD cameras, it's good to have a switch with a couple gig-speed special ports (you know, the kind that is used to get the feed from the internet, or stack to another switch. If you end up adding more cameras, and get multiple triggers at HD running 30fps, it really should feed into a gig speed port that runs out to your pc running Blue Iris. You don't want dropped frames when you need it most.

My guess is you'll end up getting a lot more than two. I have eight, and I consider that minimal. If you do stay with two domes, consider a PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom-able) camera for the outside, and a multi-head dome for the inside, to get the most coverage. There may be times you want to keep it on the lookout for a package on the doorstep, or see what it is outside the current field of view.