Reolink Gotchas

varghesesa

Reolink Gotchas

Post by varghesesa » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Introduction

This post (article) from BI Support is so the BI Support team can provide information quickly to the community based on support findings and troubleshooting.

Reolink Gotcha - H.264 High profile
Reolink H.264 High profile (default setting) causes no signal. Switch to H.264 Baseline.

RLC-4xxx / RLC-5xx series: 4 MP cameras
Most cameras connect via RTSP today. However, Reolink provides RTSP and RTMP support. From our testing, RTMP seems to perform better. Many users were complaining about the No Signal message when using RTSP from BI. When switching to RTMP, the cameras worked perfectly for the mainstream and the sub stream.
reolink_rtmp_optimized.png
reolink_rtmp_optimized.png (65.76 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
In order to leverage the RTMP stream from Reolink, the Network IP Configuration dialog needs to look like below (note the RTMP choice for Model and usage of Port 1935 for media):
reolink_ip-config_optimized.png
reolink_ip-config_optimized.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
I believe the RLC 4 & 5 series both provide ONVIF support. If so, you can simply leverage ONVIF to populate the main and sub stream URIs. Please review IP Camera Connection document for details on connecting cameras correctly.

If not, selecting the "*RLC-410... Baseline RTMP" Model will also populate the mainstream. Simply copy/paste mainstream to sub stream. Change "main" to "sub" in sub stream URI as seen above.

RLC-423 PTZ customer intel
According to another user, changing settings (e.g. encoding from H.264 High to H.264 Baseline) on the RLC-423 requires a restart. There may be a firmware bug that resets the PW, IP address from static to DHCP among other settings when performing a restart. Reolink support states no more support for this camera and recommends upgrading the camera.

510A/520A: 5 MP with person/vehicle detection

Users are reporting a bad experience when connecting cameras to Blue Iris. One user reported receiving new firmware (v3.0.0.206_21031688). The firmware resulted in main/sub fps speeds of 20 FPS. Prior, the speeds were 4/15 FPS respectively. On BI, the mainstream lagged by 10s, drops to 2-4 fps and eventually causes BI to crash. Similar issues, i.e. crashes, BI freezing up stated by other users.

8 MP Cameras: Reolink 810/820 Series (still problematic)

New intel on 810A (2021-May-5):

The below settings tend to work. Yes, h265 is in the main uri, while h264 is in the sub uri. NOT a typo. Make sure to select Decoder compatibility mode.

reolink 810A.PNG
reolink 810A.PNG (173.54 KiB) Viewed 24 times
The camera settings for sub/main (left / right) is below:
reolink 810 camera settings.PNG
reolink 810 camera settings.PNG (171.97 KiB) Viewed 24 times

RLC-810A: Anecdotal: One more quick feedback…checking the Decoder compatibility mode on the Video=>Configure page, seems to allow the dual stream to work on the 810-A. Not sure what happens by checking this box, and it does come with some occasional brief video glitches, but the CPU usage drops and it seems that the sub stream is being monitored. Hope this condition can eventually be fixed.

RLC-820A is problematic. Engineering stated they got the camera working, albeit at just 7.5 fps (over the internet). Maybe better on the LAN.

They stated they had to lower the resolution on the main stream to get a constant fps of 7.5. The defaults would fluctuate between 3 - 8 fps.
Main and sub streams were set to 15 fps. Only 7.5 fps coming across as stated above which is ok. Make sure all streams have same fps so BI time reconciliation is easier.

822A exhibiting similar issues, many disconnects / reconnects. FPS drops over time.

Status: I know engineering is working with Reolink. They have a couple newer ReoLinks to experiment with regarding RTMP. Engineering was able to get a ReoLink customer going by updating the firmware as well. Still using 1 stream since the camera has issues with 2. Other customers are also working with Reolink engineering to resolve the issue. I will update the article as I learn more.

E1 Zoom
According to one user, RTMP is the way to go with E1 Zoom. Follow similar guidance as stated above to get the RTMP connection.

E1 Pro
Unfortunately, E1 Pro only has the RTSP interface. Users have stated the RTSP connection is still bad, constantly disconnecting over time. According to the user you can prevent this insane disconnect thrashing by manually setting the Video -> Image Format -> Max Rate to 1 FPS below the actual configured FPS of the Camera. I have the camera at 7FPS fluent, 8FPS clear, so I set Blue Iris to expect 6 fps. With that, the disconnect issue magically goes away. (Sounds to me like the Reolink hardware cannot push more than 8 fps continuously like BI prefers. Hopefully, new firmware updates will improve the user experience)
e1-pro-onvif_optimized.jpg
e1-pro-onvif_optimized.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 583 times

Reolink B800
The B800 series have been replaced by the 810/820 lineup so probably not widely used anymore. However, it turns out while the camera claims ONVIF compatibility, in fact the camera is closed and proprietary.

Here is a great article on one engineer's journey to reverse engineer the B800 to access the streams.
brendanjacques

Re: Reolink Gotchas

Post by brendanjacques » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:46 pm

I'd like to add to this thread that this issue exists with the Reolink RLC-822A as well. Subscribing to only the main stream results in smooth 4K video, but, as expected, also very high CPU usage. Adding the substream drops the main stream down to .5-2FPS.

Adding only the substream isn't perfect either... It freezes randomly and briefly when viewing full screen, and when viewing the live video matrix, the individual cameras only update when they're selected.

The cameras are all running Reolink's latest (and so far, only) firmware of: 20112607

Are there any updates on these issues from the Blue Iris side?
jpauljohnson

Re: Reolink Gotchas

Post by jpauljohnson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 am

Thank you so much. I've been agonizing over this NO SIGNAL issue for months while working on a commercial install. Over 40 cameras, RLC-410-5MP, and over half had the NO SIGNAL issue. So relieved. Just reprogrammed all cameras and have NO MORE PROBLEMS. Wow. I was using the Reolink Windows Client because of this. Back to BI5!!

Thanks a million!