which camera thats NOT connected to chinese server?

imrj

which camera thats NOT connected to chinese server?

Post by imrj »

I am tired of dealing with all these chinese cameras that force you to create an account and tied to some chinese server, are there any preferred cameras for BlueIris that are totally unmanaged? I dont care if it doesnt have a smartphone app neither any cloud BS....
Matts1984

Re: which camera thats NOT connected to chinese server?

Post by Matts1984 »

The unfortunate reality is that 80% of cameras on the market are, at the core, either Dahua or Hikvision. Companies tweak the firmware or slap different stickers on them, but so many are still the same. I struggle with my Amcrests because I've seen good reviews, their site - although very annoying with the chat popups - seems overall pretty legitimate, yet I am completely unhappy with their own cloud platform and the inability to even disable it (yet the option is present in the firmware - it does nothing).

Then the reality of it is that if you find one that is truly reputable, not chinese, and has all the stuff you want - you're going to pay for it.

My other cameras are from SV3C and they do give the option and basic instructions to use a super sketch mobile app and their cloud platform, but it's completely optional (I've never used it) and the firmware does effectively allow you to disable it. Beyond those, I don't have the experience to refer anything else.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
TimG

Post by TimG »

I am tired of dealing with all these chinese cameras that force you to create an account and tied to some chinese server, are there any preferred cameras for BlueIris that are totally unmanaged?
If it is an Onvif camera that you have connected to BI5, then the trick is to isolate your camera network from the internet to stop it calling home. We have many ways of doing that, so ask if you would like to do it.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
mtsoule

Post by mtsoule »

Well, i read this and thought, thats not good!! i am new to BI and POE cameras, i just bought one camera to try out the system. i want to convert my 16 camera AHD system to POE (i know i have to replace all the cameras), but this camera, i didnt have to create an account, just found the IP of the camera, set a password, then went ion to BI and told it what the IP was and all is well.. i could use wireshark or something, but do you think it is still calling home?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083G ... UTF8&psc=1

i know its a cheap cam, but i figured for my test it would be ok...
Last edited by mtsoule on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Since your link referenced Amcrest, I figured I had to share a few forum links with you (yes I use the same username):

https://amcrest.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 16&p=30131
https://amcrest.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 90&p=12364
https://amcrest.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 28&p=30126

Beyond those points which I'm obviously not thrilled about, if I pretend thats not an issue, the cameras have been pretty decent. The image is just as good as my others and I've had no disconnects or bugginess. As we've said on other corners of this forum, if you're using BI then the cameras really do NOT need to get outbound to anything so I wouldn't let them. There is in some situations the need for them to resolve network time (NTP) and to do that they probably need name resolution (DNS) so that could present an issue to address, but otherwise.... if it doesn't need it, don't leave the opening.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
mtsoule

Post by mtsoule »

WOW!! Thanks Matt1984. Yea, thats one reason i liked my old coax, AHD system as i knew exactly what was going on. However, i think its time to update... Anyway, i think what i might do, setup a VLAN, with no internet access for the IPCams, then put 2 NIC cards in the computer (one Cam side, the other Internet side). just my first thought.. that way the cams cant call home. OR.. the more i think about it, just set a rule that camera VLAN has no internet access..

I can understand needing the NTP, but i would think even that should be able to be shut off, since BI handles all the clock. But, as i said, i am only about a week old in the BI and IPcam world, so i am still learning!!
Last edited by mtsoule on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yeah if you have BlueIris adding the timestap overlays then no reason the cameras need ANY access whatsoever. In my situation I currently have the cameras doing the overlay so it's just needed for that.

If you have the ability to airgap the network and a server with two NICs... thats the most secure/foolproof (once configured)

Also, some here have configured their own BI server to be an NTP server as well... so in that case the cameras can just query your server. Lets just say - you've got options.
mtsoule

Post by mtsoule »

Thanks!! Thats the plan!! i am still new to BI and still on the eval.. i have more camera coming in to today to test..
jondwalters

Post by jondwalters »

As others have said, create a firewall rule not allowing that camera to get out to the internet. For most cameras isn't necessary at all for them to get internet access. Better yet, create a VLAN to isolate them off to their own network. Obviously takes some networking know-how but it is the best way to keep them from phoning home.