New Router & Samsung SmartCam help

kayfersmum

New Router & Samsung SmartCam help

Post by kayfersmum »

Hi

We've bought a new router to replace the ISP one hoping that the connection to our cameras will be better. The downside of this is that I'm having a problem with one camera in particular, a Samsung SmartCam, and getting it back on line with Blue Iris.

This camera is in our home and is wired directly to the router via ethernet. I know this should be simple and I'm missing something really obvious. I can't remember how I had it set up before :roll:

All our other cameras connected are IP Wifi Cameras and I've got these back on line and linked up to Blue Iris without too many issues :?

I've attached a couple of the set up screens as I'm sure it's a setup thing that I need to do differently...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

BI Samsung Camera.PNG
BI Samsung Camera.PNG (49.12 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
Samsung search.PNG
Samsung search.PNG (17.38 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
Matts1984

Re: New Router & Samsung SmartCam help

Post by Matts1984 »

Nothing should have changed really in BI except for 'maybe' the IP address of the camera - depending on any configuration you may have done within the new router.

That said, what kind of issue are you having? Based on your screenshots it appears that BI was able to at least scan/detect your camera so I assume we can establish that the IP is correct. Can you show what is behind the 'Configure' button? Thats where most of the actual camera settings are in BI.

What is the current status of the camera - as far as BI is concerned? Is it just showing as not connected/offline?
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

Thank you. Yes that would be helpful wouldn't it! Although I select a Samsung Camera it defaults to the Generic/ONVIF option.

Here's the config screen - I've removed the login info, but I know that's in there and is correct :)

BI is showing No Signal for this camera.
Attachments
Samsung Camera Config.PNG
Samsung Camera Config.PNG (55.04 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
TimG

Post by TimG »

This camera is in our home and is wired directly to the router via ethernet. I know this should be simple and I'm missing something really obvious. I can't remember how I had it set up before :roll:
A lot of people here set up complicated semi-static IP addresses using an aftermarket router. I assume that since you have replaced the ISP router with a better one, that you don't have any of that fancy stuff. If your cameras have real static IP's, then normally you would set up the new router like this:

1. Change wifi SSID (name) and password to the same as before.
2. Change the router LAN (house internal ethernet) IP to the same as before. i.e If it was 192.168.0.1 you make the new one the same.
3. Does the BI5 pc have a static IP address ? Let's pretend it's 192.168.0.2, and move on to 4 below.
4. Check the DHCP window (automatic IP address mechanism if you don't use real static IP addresses) doesn't overlap with your BI5 static IP address, or your camera static IP's. So if your BI5 pc is on 192.168.0.2 and if your first camera has a static IP of 192.168.0.50 (and the rest are higher), then you could set the DHCP window to be 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.49. That would give plenty of DHCP addresses for mobile phones etc. If they overlap you will have issues.

I did this when I swapped from Sky broadband to Virgin, and everything just worked - simply because I had replicated the router settings.

After that I added a second NIC and put my cameras on a separate LAN, but that is a different thread.

What happens if you put the camera IP address into a browser ? Does it attempt to show the web page for this camera ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

Hi TimG

It sounds like that would have been the sensible solution, but I didn’t go that route 😢 I thought it best to start totally clean so that I could get the best out of the new router and not muck anything up!

I thought that the Samsung camera was our only problem, but I’ll take that out of the equation for now as I think I’m having a lot more ‘challenges’ as I like to call them!

We bought a TP-Link AC2800 Hub and 4 of the TP-Link power adaptors as we are trying to put as much on ethernet connection as we can. The rest of our cameras, 13, are IP Wifi cameras. We were still experiencing some flicking on and off of the signal, so we bought two TP Link wifi extenders and I attached the wifi cameras only to those today, with a few going directly to the router. Now everything appears to be really messed up :( Cameras are going on and off line continually. It appears that depending on where the cameras are connected to, some groups are on and some are off. If I restart the router, then these groups that are on swap around. The only constant is the ethernet cameras.

Our iPhones and iPads are connected to the router 5GB channel and working well with speeds of 35mbps (we’ve never had this so high with our Sky router!), but the two PC’s connected via ethernet are now getting speeds of less than 5mbps. Our Alexa’s and other devices attached to 5GHz are working, but it appears other smart home plugs etc that are connected to 2.4Ghz are not working.

Writing this has helped me to realise that I don’t think all of this is a Blue Iris issue, rather something strange going on with the Router or connectors. However, something that did occur to me is that one of the reasons why we got the new router is that the cameras were losing the connection in Blue Iris, but when I went to the App where I originally set them up, they are showing as online. I would then reboot the camera from the App and almost always they would then show as online wishing BLue Iris. I’ve just noticed that this is happening again. Not connected on BI, but online and able to view in the associated camera Apps, so I don’t think I can blame that on the Sky router!

Back to the drawing board and I’ll worry about the Samsung camera another day 😊
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Can you get to the camera from a web browser on your computer?
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

Don’t think so. I tried entering the IP address into the Chrome search bar and it didn’t come up with anything, just an error.

I’ve been able to view it on the Samsung SmartCam App or by logging in to Samsung account on Windows browser. Samsung won’t let you use a Chrome or safari Browser to login which I find very strange 🤔
TimG

Post by TimG »

Just a thought,

I use an older router as a wifi extender at the other end of the house. In my case that is a BT hub. It simply plugs in to the ethernet, with DHCP turned off, and it gives me 3 extra ethernet ports and the dual band wifi. I have five different wifi SSID addresses for the house.

I'm wondering if this method could get some of your other equipment reconnected since they were already set up on the old router. You have to change the IP address of the old router, as it can't be on the same IP as the new one (As well as the SSID's), but other than that it is a free hub with a wifi extender.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

Thanks TimG

So after a late night I think I've made some progress 🤞

I did notice an SSID on our network that I hadn't noticed before so after some investigation it was one of our new replacement IP Wifi Cameras that we installed yesterday. Never seen this before. I turned P2P platform off on the camera settings and that has disappeared. Then I was able to connect all cameras to one of the two wifi extenders and things settled down well :)

We are still getting some flickering / no signal on a couple of cameras in Blue Iris. Not lasting for long, but annoying. Any recommendations for setup that may help that with this, either in camera or BI setup?

We are getting good internet speeds on both ethernet connected PC's and our wifi devices (ipads & phones etc). One strange thing I noticed, is that on one PC (not the BI dedicated PC) if I run a speedtest through Chrome I get less than 5mbps, yet if I run it through the speedtest app on Windows, we get around 35mbps, same as running the speedtest through Chrome on the BI PC. Strange ...

Still no progress with the Samsung Camera, but not an issue as I've got the 17 of the other cameras working and devices at home working! I did notice when I was setting up BI to access remotely using UPNP that the Samsung camera was on there. I hadn't remembered that when I was asking the initial question.

I know I shouldn't be using this way to remotely access BI, but until we got this new router I was unable to do much about it. Think setting up an OpenVPN is a topic for another day ;)
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

Quick Update - Got the stream to the camera resolved and ethernet appears to be the way forward!

With Ken taking time to help troubleshoot (fabulous service) and giving me some ideas it was a very simple solution in the end. I thought it would be, but was unable to see it through my foggy brain. I think I tried every combination of user name and password for the Samsung Smartcam, along with Ken, but the answer was not to use the login for the camera I use in the Samsung App, but to use 'admin' as the username and the password I normally use in the app. This combination worked!

We've currently got cables all over, but ethernet appears to have solved the dropouts from the cameras, so we are looking to implement a more permanent setup.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience.

Stay safe x