Which Cameras should I Buy

WeedWhackerDood

Re: Which Cameras should I Buy

Post by WeedWhackerDood »

Matts1984 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 pm Unfortunately this is a bit like asking "What car should I buy?". The answer is, it depends - and everyone has their own opinion.

A significant portion of the market supports POE, which if you have the cables run as you do, in my opinion is ideal. I like the single cable and the control from my POE switch. That part should not be an issue.
Matt, i just wanted to say how 'refreshing' and comforting it is to see someone go into this level of detail for what other videocam websites would use as a flame session for someone asking what they would consider to be a 'stupid question'; I have been an undeserving recipient of those flames when i was trying to learn about Blue Iris and IP Cameras!

Great job demonstrating what the Blue Iris forum, any forum really, should be about.

Thanks for helping the OP.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

WeedWhackerDood wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:12 am Thanks for helping the OP.
Thanks! I really appreciate the kudos. I know what you mean about other sites and just as easily I could have gotten attacked for my attempted help. While having a technical background, I came into this stuff completely green with only the content on forums for help. This is a pretty small community, but I gotta say - it really is a community and not a battleground. Not everyone may agree 100% on what I say, but I've got the time - and appreciate help when I need it - so I'm happy to contribute!
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Strela101

Post by Strela101 »

Yes, it's definitely a big help for us newcomers. I mean, I'm a city dweller working from home, and I've never had experience with cameras and surveillance whatsoever, and am glad I found out about Blue Iris and this forum when I started looking at these Jurmala houses for the holidays, and thought about the feasibility of it, which included security.
And for someone who, a couple weeks ago, knew absolutely nothing about that sort of stuff, I'm glad there are in-depth answers to "newbie" questions like these.