Nest Cams

dkeltong

Nest Cams

Post by dkeltong »

I have been discussing this topic in other forums, but have not gotten anywhere to date. Has anyone recently gotten a Nest cam to work in BI? I used to be able to get it to work, but I now can't see information I need in MS Edge. I have found that people who configured BI previously still have Nest cams working. But they cannot see the information in Edge now either.
HeneryH

Re: Nest Cams

Post by HeneryH »

The problem with Nest cams is that viewers such as BI need to rely on the nest service as an intermediary between BI and the camera.

It might work one day by using a public URL from Nest to proxy the camera but if Nest ever changes their model or changes that URL then BI will no longer be able to see it.

You should NEVER consider Nest with BI a real solution and only a hack that may work until ... it doesn't.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:45 pmYou should NEVER consider Nest with BI a real solution and only a hack that may work until ... it doesn't.
Bingo.

Nest's service could disappear at any time for any reason; it's unwise to use them in a security system. The camera's reliance on an internet connection and a functioning service on the other end are two more potential points of failure.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
herbse48

Post by herbse48 »

I use it with my nest doorbell. I made the camera's stream viewable using a public link in the nest settings. Then entered:

Make: Nest/Drop cam
Model: RTSP via public page

And in the address form I used the https:// dropdown and entered the nest video link

Works perfectl
TimG

Post by TimG »

herbse48,

I agree with the comments above. If it doesn't do Onvif and can't talk rtsp, then it is on borrowed time. You are potentially one firmware update away from it losing contact with BI5 :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.