New Wansview W4 Firmware

Arch

New Wansview W4 Firmware

Post by Arch »

Wansview support contacted me and asked if I wanted to test a new firmware load for the W4. You might know that earlier versions of the W4 required that camera be on the internet and in contact with their server. Seemed clearly intended to get you to subscribe to their service. This new load of firmware, v04.26000.04.09. This new FW streams RTSP at 15 FPS in SD or HD. I don't know when the firmware will be released, but it works well. I keep this camera, and all my cameras, blocked from internet access for security reasons. I use B.I. to capture the streams to my HDD.

The W4 is an outdoor camera. It comes with a non-removable mounting foot made to drill 3 screws into your house with power, Ethernet and reset cable going to a big center hole. It supports 802.11b (2.4 GHz) WiFi. It's got a fairly wide angle and so a slight fish-eye effect on the edges. It lacks much internal controls. Each time it boots off the internet the date/time resets to zero. You can't turn off the date/time OSD, no user controls for frame rate, brightness, color, etc. You can rotate the image in 180 degree steps to mount it "up" or "down", and the IR LEDs can be automatic or off. You can read more about it on line. (Enough of the overview, eh?)

But it's cheap, pretty well built, and is easy to set up with rtsp streaming in B.I. I'm seeing about 40kbps in SD mode, and 110 kbps in HD mode at 15 FPS.
--
B.I. v5.2.5.3, x64. Upgrade from B.I. v3.6. Using Foscam 19821W, Foscam F18921P V3, Foscam F19021PW, Wansview W4/RTSP, Wansview NCM621W, Wansview W3 (X Series). Wansview NCB543W (retired)
bdf0506

Re: New Wansview W4 Firmware

Post by bdf0506 »

Thanks for the post/info. I’ve been using Wansview W3 cameras for about 4 years with BI. I have them running via a wired connection and powered via passive 24v POE via a unifi switch (with a poe splitter, since these aren’t native POE devices). I have one 1080p version but had issue with the rtsp so i had to ultimately drop the revolution down to 720 to get it to properly work with BI. Just like you, I block my cameras from the internet as well, as I don’t really trust these cheap cameras to not “call home” with a feed of my video. I have 5 cameras total, and one died on me. Wansview gave me new firmware to try, firmware didn’t take and bricked the thing and they sent me a new camera for my troubles. All in, I’ve been pretty pleased with the performance of them.

With the W4 and the new firmware you mention, is it pretty stable? Also, is there any sort of web UI on the camera to set things like a NTP server, user accounts, etc?

I may pick one up on Amazon for $33 and test drive it as an upgrade to my current cameras. Would you be able to share the firmware with me that Wansview provided to you? I have zero desire to obtain a camera that isn’t compatible with BI.
CavemanUK

Post by CavemanUK »

Sorry to revive such an old thread. Are you still using the W4 cameras? if so, are you on the new firmware? im running 07.26100.07.10 and I can't access RTSP any more.

Cheers
sodapooch

Post by sodapooch »

CavemanUK wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:51 pm Sorry to revive such an old thread. Are you still using the W4 cameras? if so, are you on the new firmware? im running 07.26100.07.10 and I can't access RTSP any more.

Cheers

I have same camera and same firmware as you, and lost RTSP a few days ago. Any luck troubleshooting?
CavemanUK

Post by CavemanUK »

sodapooch wrote:
CavemanUK wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:51 pm Sorry to revive such an old thread. Are you still using the W4 cameras? if so, are you on the new firmware? im running 07.26100.07.10 and I can't access RTSP any more.

Cheers

I have same camera and same firmware as you, and lost RTSP a few days ago. Any luck troubleshooting?
Yeah after emailing Wansview they had an engineer upload a new firmware (07.26100.07.12) directly to my cameras which fixed it. Seems they must have broken RTSP. All good now. If your cams don’t automatically update I would suggest emailing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Painter

Post by Painter »

I have been trying to fix the STSP issue since they updated the firmware. I finally found that the issue is the ONVF discovery port changed in the firmware from 8999 to 8899. I changed the setting in BlueIris to 8899 and rediscovered the cameras and it found them they are working now. I believe that they also improved the security because now they require a token which raw RTSP was not working and why you need the ONVF port to be correct. I confirmed this on firmwares 07.26100.07.12 and 07.26000.07.12