Night Time motion detection

General discussion about Blue Iris
MikeBwca

Re: Night Time motion detection

Post by MikeBwca »

Can you post screenshots of the above options?
Also, the BI options/Schule tab.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

MikeBwca wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:09 am Can you post screenshots of the above options?
I'm not quite following yet. I think the 'controls' are what I'm missing since the Camera Control Event -> Function list control 'options' don't appear to do anything in and of themselves when selected, scheduled and tested.
Also, the BI options/Schule tab.
If you mean the Global schedule in BI Settings, it is disabled and my camera schedules are set to override Global. I'm not using sunrise/sunset lat/long for initial testing.

I guess I need clarification about which 'options' and where they are.

And thanks for the follow up.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I found the missing options 'control settings' link to this method at the bottom of the Camera Settings menu -> PTZ Control. I've actually stumbled across this before and it was just a head-scratcher at the time. It evidently has a purpose now..., even for non-PTZ cameras. Cool.

Now the trick is how to implement the changes available here to the schedule since the settings available in the schedule itself don't actually do anything except reference the corresponding settings in the PTZ control sub-menu. I've yet to figure out how the two interact for the desired action in the scheduling.

PTZ Control.jpg
PTZ Control.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 573 times
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Post...
- Your Day/Night Brightness/Settings, for one camera.
- BI Settings Schedule ta.
- BI Camera Settings Schedule tab.
- BI Camera Settings Schedule tab 'Events schedule' button.

I'll give a step-by-step procedure, if you want.

Also, the Contrast/Brightness settings for the camera can be changed from the icons in the lower left - under the camera windows, and above the Timeline.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I have it figured out for the most part.

The contrast and brightness can be adjusted with the controls provided in the screenshot. My experience so far is they need to be established there (or perhaps by the icons you referenced) and then set accordingly in the schedule to actually occur according to the schedule.

This method allows observable real time (almost) changes with the settings being saved and subsequently implemented in the schedule. Attempting to adjust settings with the schedule function selections alone doesn't provide any change at all from what I can tell (or have been able to achieve). They just seem to establish which setting to invoke according to the schedule.

If that's how it's supposed to work, it does. My initial impression was the schedule function selections would actually adjust the settings without the intermediate step(s) being required. And maybe they do in your version. They don't in mine.

My settings are pre-tuned and applied. The schedule set exactly like yours. I'll see what happens at sunrise.

Out of curiosity, how are the adjustments set back to the camera defaults for a clean start? I haven't found that yet.

'Preciate the help.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

MikeBwca wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:29 am Post...
Since you asked...

Main Schedule.jpg
Main Schedule.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 532 times

Cam Schedule.jpg
Cam Schedule.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 532 times

Event Schedule.jpg
Event Schedule.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 532 times

Daytime settings also need to be re-established. Unclear how this actually occurs unless the desired values are entered for the sunrise 'event' to take over for the sunset 'event'. Your example would seem to provide no change between the sunset 'event' and the sunrise 'event', thereby not returning to a daytime setting. It would seem to make much more sense to have beginning and end time selections included as part of a single event entry.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I also just ran across this thread from a search on the subject of returning to default settings.

https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242

The one obviously possible solution not mentioned in the thread would be to simply delete and re-add the camera. Or maybe via ONVIF somehow...

I wonder if it's ever been addressed in later releases.
losrx7

Post by losrx7 »

Thank you all for the tips. Unfortunately I was still not getting recording at night. I ended up removing all the cameras and reinstalling. Then just configured for continuous recording with motion detection with AI. I'm getting alerts now at night time on the PC, but then the phone app stop showing me alerts. After reinstalling the app, the alerts were showing up fine.

I'm going to continue to play with it, but at the moment i'm happy with the current status.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Good to hear. And thanks for arousing my curiosity. LOL

My particular interest in the scheduling approach relates to some current experimentation with 4K Reolink cameras which are notorious for bad night performance -- and deservedly so for the most part. The improvement I've been able to achieve has been marginal, but there's still some remaining potential there. I've also tried it on other cameras just to explore those results as well.

It works, but is klunky to implement, at least with a non-PTZ camera. Not being able to return to the camera's daytime defaults (or needing to establish them within the schedule's available parameters as an additional requirement) sorta defeats the purpose of changing the night performance in the first place. I hope I'm just missing something there.

But if it weren't fun!
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

MikeBwca wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:29 am Post...

I'll give a step-by-step procedure, if you want.

Also, the Contrast/Brightness settings for the camera can be changed from the icons in the lower left - under the camera windows, and above the Timeline.
Hi Mike,

If you could kindly provide a step-by-step guide, that would be immensely helpful for all of us. It's fascinating that only after reading this post, I ventured into my night profile to manually mess about with the brightness, and I was astounded by how much sharper the image appears—almost resembling daylight! This could potentially address the issue I've been facing where CPAI struggles to detect at night, possibly due to brightness or contrast problems. Consequently, I'm keen to implement this adjustment as well.

Problem is I have no idea where to start so if you could provide a step by step that would just be awesome!