Storage and clips don't delete as configured

General discussion about Blue Iris
scottlindner

Storage and clips don't delete as configured

Post by scottlindner »

My BI goes funky and stops showing new alerts in the BI app on my phone whenever the storage limit I have configured has been reached but not when the drive is full. I don't do much special with regard to storage management. The default BI folders and the clips get stored in F:/BlueIris/archive. It is a 6TB drive that reports as 5.45TB in Windows Explorer and I set the BI storage limit to 4500GB and every time the archive hits 4500GB BI tells me in red letters the storage is full and the BI app on my phone stops showing new alerts. Whenever this happens the only way I can figure out how ot get alerts back is to purge everything and start fresh which isn't what I want at all. I want the archive to basically always be "full" and whatever the most recent archive is to keep it full which appears to be about a month.

Is my expecation for the settings not what they really represent? Is there a way to achieve a rolling backup storage that just maintains itself without requiring me to go in monthly to clean things out? I'm not looking to do anything special other than my hard drive is the size that it is and just keep running and keep as much of latest as possible based on disk size.
Attachments
StorageConfig.png
StorageConfig.png (72.81 KiB) Viewed 571655 times
TimG

Re: Storage and clips don't delete as configured

Post by TimG »

BI5 can certainly look after itself as long as you have entered the correct sizes, and the drives are accessible by Windows. There is no need to purge folders. Can you show us a screengrab of the drive graphs ? If you can post what the Log shows too, I think we will see the problem.

As a guess, you may have "other" stuff on the same F: drive, and so will either have to drop the size of your storage folders or move the other stuff somewhere else.

My cctv drives look like this all the time with small fluctuations as files are moved. You do need to leave a bit of space on each drive too, as clip files can be large - I leave up to 25GB on each drive:
mydrives.png
mydrives.png (193.61 KiB) Viewed 571926 times
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Shouldn't there be a clip age setting to achieve the desired 'delete' (or 'move to') function and a rolling dynamic so everything doesn't just grind to a halt when the specified max storage is reached?
TimG

Post by TimG »

I use the time as a catch all, i.e. I set the max size I require. if I know NEW is filled up in 7 days, I set the time for 14 days. I don't think you NEED it, but belt and braces.
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I have mine set to Delete with no Clip Age or Move and my system copes fine.

To the OP is the F: drive a local installed drive or a network share?

Also is there anything re deleting or failure to delete clips in the BI log file?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

With no specification, how does 'delete' know what to delete? Having not needed to examine this before, I presume the default is simply 'oldest first'?
TimG

Post by TimG »

I can only assume that it deletes the oldest first to maintain the selected size even if you don't choose a time.

If you choose a time it will use that in combination.
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Yes it removes the oldest clip
scottlindner

Post by scottlindner »

Oh wow. I wasn't getting alerts and didn't know folks were responding. I am so sorry. I am still having this issue. This morning I logged in and the drive was full exceeding my specified max size by 1TB.

My F disk is only used for BI. The only purpose for this entire computer is just BI. That is all that it is used for. I have a 2TB C drive that is barely used to ensure nothing gets in the way of the dedicated BI storage disk.
Attachments
Drive Properties.png
Drive Properties.png (22 KiB) Viewed 146855 times
Storage Settings.png
Storage Settings.png (43.38 KiB) Viewed 146855 times
scottlindner

Post by scottlindner »

IAmATeaf wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:52 am I have mine set to Delete with no Clip Age or Move and my system copes fine.

To the OP is the F: drive a local installed drive or a network share?

Also is there anything re deleting or failure to delete clips in the BI log file?
Sorry for just catching up on this. The F drive is a local SATA drive inside the computer. It is a very old computer that is only used for BI and nothing else. The C drive is a 2TB SATA SSD and the F drive is a 6TB SATA HDD. The ONLY thing on the F drive is F:\BlueIris\ and nothing else. The only app running on this computer is BI. It is headless and stashed in my utility room on top of a shelf where we can't hear its fans spinning away madly as I add more cameras.