which camera thats NOT connected to chinese server?

Moderators: HeneryH, TimG

Tardigrade

Re: which camera thats NOT connected to chinese server?

Post by Tardigrade » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:03 am

Is there an industry name or category for these dumb POE cameras? Just wondering what to search for.
TimG

Post by TimG » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:45 pm

I think you are looking at it from the wrong end ! Expensive ONVIF/RTSP cameras will have more processing power and functionality. They will be advertised as such. Cheaper cameras will be dumb and the advert will be rather small :lol:

The specification sheet is always a good thing to read for any camera.
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

which camera thats NOT connected to chinese server?

Post by IAmATeaf » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:39 pm

If you plan on setting up BI with 2 lan cards then you don’t really need to setup a VLAN.

I run my BI PC with 2 lan cards, the lan that the cams are on has no internet access.

For cams, don’t judge a cam based upon megapixel, judge it by its sensor size and night time performance and if these details aren’t listed then run.
louyo

Post by louyo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:55 pm

I have 2 cameras that I test with in my "lab" (such as it is). One is a Dahua and the other Hikvision. If I enable the "platform" in the Hik or Bonjour in the Dahua, they immediately connect to servers on AWS. No way of knowing who controls those servers, but one can probably guess. A simple way to block that is assign a static IP address and give it a fake (or no) gateway address. Better to put them on a separate LAN.
I had a cheap camera, I think it was about $40 on Amazon, and after a firmware update it connected to some server in Tanzania, fortunately I was watching the log.
Almost all IP cameras and NVR's have a feature to connect from the Internet, usually have an app for your phone. To do that, they have to phone home, usually (from my observations) a server on AWS. When you do that, you are allowing them to connect to whatever LAN the camera/NVR is connected to. We use a separate public Internet connection and VPN. After installation I always check router logs or Wireshark to see if the camera is phoning home. It should only need to connect to a time server if you enable one. Maybe check for updates.
I agree with Tim , pick a camera that does what you want. Often, a 2MP is better than higher resolution, better night vision, eats less bandwidth and still shows what you need to see. Make sure it has US firmware.
My one client insists on NDAA equipment.
TheDishDoc

Post by TheDishDoc » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:26 am

TimG wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:08 pm
I am tired of dealing with all these chinese cameras that force you to create an account and tied to some chinese server, are there any preferred cameras for BlueIris that are totally unmanaged?
If it is an Onvif camera that you have connected to BI5, then the trick is to isolate your camera network from the internet to stop it calling home. We have many ways of doing that, so ask if you would like to do it.
I'm interested in doing this. Do you happen to know of a thread here discussing this? I just changed the gateway on my Chinese cameras from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.200 in the hopes that would keep them from phoning home. I sure want to plug that hole whatever it takes. Thanks for any assistance you guys can offer.
TimG

Post by TimG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:55 pm

Basically:

1. Some routers can prevent internet access to individual IP addresses, but this may only be with after market routers. My Asus router with Merlin firmware can do this.

2. You can create a completely separate LAN only for your cameras. This is what I have done. A second network card (NIC) in the BI5 pc plugs directly into a POE ethernet switch, and the cameras plug into that. No router is required if you know how to set up static IP addresses on each device. This has worked every time for me, but I am aware others have struggled. My secondary CCTV NIC is 10.0.0.1 (No gateway or DNS so it has no internet connectivity) and the cameras are 10.0.0.2 onwards. I recently added another router to this to give wifi to the camera LAN, as I am about to add a wifi doorbell camera. As I said though, you don't need a router for hard wired cameras.
Forum Moderator.