Cannot start Blue Iris Program

Seagull

Re: Cannot start Blue Iris Program

Post by Seagull »

Ah - I see I posted in the wrong place. Didn't find this on the first search (My thread: viewtopic.php?t=3335)

I also have some old v4 versions. Kinda odd - on one machine it is happy again as I stripped out the expired digital certificate from the exe.

On the other PC, in a shop, it is just not working at all. Not matter which "fix" I try.

Support\sales will not help as they just point here as I not paid a support subscription, only have (multiple) copies of v4 from 2019.

Update: Found a fix... rip out the digital cert. But also be aware that different versions of the app can't be copied between PCs. Rip the app on the actual PC you are using it on.
Last edited by Seagull on Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trigs

Post by trigs »

Skoposane wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:27 pm There is zero chance I am spending money again on this. I have 15x licenses I am not renewing. If this is how they will play I'll simply take business elsewhere.
Does it seem dishonest for Blue Iris to secretly sell software that will certainly stop working without warning?
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

trigs wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:59 pm Does it seem dishonest for Blue Iris to secretly sell software that will certainly stop working without warning?
To be fair to BI this is not their fault. They signed their application with a certificate that has now been cancelled. That would be well out of their control and never their plan.

I doubt they are the only company hit like this. They would have expected that certificate to last a lot longer.

I have now hacked around with my v4's more and found a "fix" for them that does not mean killing security on the PC. Rip out the bad certificate.

https://www.fluxbytes.com/software-rele ... gner-v1-0/

That tool will remove the cert. It now means that the app needs to be confirmed at startup as it is unsigned, but otherwise works well.
Last edited by Seagull on Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAmATeaf

Cannot start Blue Iris Program

Post by IAmATeaf »

becoming wrote:….
The quote system in Tapatalk looks to be broken?

You think wrong, the exe is signed but the cert it’s signed with is now Disallowed. I commented above but from a version onwards BI uses a different cert auth to sign their exe files.
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

IAmATeaf wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:17 pm You think wrong, the exe is signed but the cert it’s signed with is now Disallowed. I commented above but from a version onwards BI uses a different cert auth to sign their exe files.
The exe is signed at compile time. If the cert that they signed with is removed then that is not BI's fault. They just picked the wrong company to sign with.

They would need to release a whole new exe, recompiled and signed with a new cert. And they ain't gonna do that. They want cash for a new copy.

So rip out the cert and just put up with Windows nagging about no cert.
advertstore

Post by advertstore »

I'm not happy with the developers suggestion of effectively paying again for the software! Here is a more permanent fix.

The exe that is causing this problem is just a stub to launch the software. You can copy this exe (BlueIrisAdmin.exe) from a more recent installation including the very latest one and overwrite the old one and everything will work perfectly. There is also another exe that also has an invalid certificate which can also be copied although this isn't needed in normal use (BlueIrisToaster.exe).

I'm not going to provide these EXE's but I'm sure someone will. The developer could also just provide us with these officially of course. Paid for support is for problems from normal usage issues or dealing with circumstances such as windows updates - it should not be needed to be paid for to overcome critical faults with the software.
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

@advertstore - an elegant solution, but I think only relevant to older v5 versions. I tried it on v4 without success. Also no toaster on v4.
jmfixitman

Post by jmfixitman »

Well, while trying to fix this issue via a software reinstall, I screwed up my version... I have 5.2.6.1 reinstalled, but I used to have 5.4.x.x... I cannot find the software archives on the Blueiris site anymore. Does anyone know where they are at, or did they cut us off??
IPCamMan

Post by IPCamMan »

rip out the digital cert ? - can you please explain what this is, how to do it for those who don't know what you are getting at,
that would be great if you could. Thank you Seagull
Seagull wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:07 pm Ah - I see I posted in the wrong place. Didn't find this on the first search (My thread: viewtopic.php?t=3335)

I also have some old v4 versions. Kinda odd - on one machine it is happy again as I stripped out the expired digital certificate from the exe.

On the other PC, in a shop, it is just not working at all. Not matter which "fix" I try.

Support\sales will not help as they just point here as I not paid a support subscription, only have (multiple) copies of v4 from 2019.

Update: Found a fix... rip out the digital cert. But also be aware that different versions of the app can't be copied between PCs. Rip the app on the actual PC you are using it on.
LOVE BUGS

Post by LOVE BUGS »

Ver 5.5.9.3

Got the Windows block message when I started BI this morning. Got it to work through 'CMD prompt with admin'. Now I'm dealing with the 'Evaluation version' watermark, any idea how to fix? Thanks