Remote Access doesn’t work after HP update

gdchan

Remote Access doesn’t work after HP update

Post by gdchan »

Hello,

We installed Blue Iris version 4 on an HP computer and set up port forwarding. This allowed us to do remote access.

Recently last week there was an HP update and all of a sudden remote access doesn’t work anymore.

Things we tried:
- turned off McAfee Firewall and Windows defender.
- checked WAN on website canyouseeme.org. This failed with a timed out connection error.
- tried to use ZeroTier as an alternate to port forwarding, but no “adapters” appear on Web Server tab in setup under the WAN section. Is this because we have version 4 instead of version 5?

Things we did not try:
Using a different port.

We are still able to use the LAN to view Blue Iris on local computer, but it seems like the WAN fails for some reason.

What can we do to get remote access to work again? It’s very annoying that it works and all of a sudden an unsolicited computer update causes it to fail…

Thanks in advance,

Garland
Last edited by gdchan on Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimG

Re: Remote Access doesn’t work after HP update

Post by TimG »

From what you have written, I'm wondering if the HP update altered firewall settings. Try turning the firewall off on the HP pc then try remote access. Don't forget to re-start the firewall afterwards !
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Have you checked that your WAN IP hasn’t changed?

Do a ping or tracert from both ends to see how far the traffic gets to try and work out where it is being blocked/dropped.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Have you checked that your WAN IP hasn’t changed?
I think a successful test via canyouseeme.org proved the WAN IP is OK and that the specified port is open, but then my suggestion of turning the firewall off temporarily is invalid, as the OP already did a test with the McAfee firewall off.

This is a weird one ! Must be time to reboot the BI pc and start again :?

So if the WAN IP is correct, and the port is open from the external internet, how about checking the router to make sure it is routing that port to the correct pc ? I'm assuming that the BI pc has a static LAN IP address :!:

I have no experience with zerotier so I can't comment there. I use OpenVpn on my router as I don't like to open ports.
Forum Moderator.
gdchan

Post by gdchan »

Thank you for the replies so far.

The wan was verified as the same before remote failed. We can still view Blue Iris when connecting with the home internet.

Sorry, I forgot to say that testing the wan on www.canyouseeme.org showed a failure:

Error: I could not see your service on XX.XXX.XXX.XXX on port 81:

Reason: Connection timed out.

Are there alternatives to port forwarding which work with Blue Iris version 4? It seems zerotier, openVPN, etc. requires an upgraded version of Blue Iris?
TimG

Post by TimG »

OpenVpn doesn't need BI5 as it runs on the router. BUT it will only run on powerful routers. I had originally tried to set up OpenVpn on my BI pc, but that made my brain hurt. When I sorted it on an Asus router (with Merlin firmware) it was relatively easy.

Port forwarding is the easiest method to get working, so I think you need to get that going first. Knowing that you failed the canyouseeme test puts us in a very different position logically:

1. Are you sure your WAN IP address hasn't changed ? My WAN IP isn't static, but my Asus router allows me to have a fixed DDNS address - <myname>.asuscomm.com. rather than a changing numerical IP address.
2. If the IP is correct, did you check the router settings ?
3. Does the BI pc have a static LAN ip address ?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if your home IP address is good, and if the BI pc has a dynamic LAN IP that has changed from what you set in the router - the BI pc needs a static LAN IP.
Forum Moderator.
eduardok

Post by eduardok »

I have a similar issue with release 4.6.3.0. I can access all cameras and clips using the latest version (2.03.01) of the ios remote app within my LAN. When I try WAN access the app connects to BI and displays the Home Screen but when I click cameras or clips it just keeps searching. Cameras and clips do not show up. Using Windows 10 with latest updates. All was working fine until I took Windows updates after Dec 5, 2021.
eduardok

Post by eduardok »

eduardok wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:12 pm I have a similar issue with release 4.6.3.0. I can access all cameras and clips using the latest version (2.03.01) of the ios remote app within my LAN. When I try WAN access the app connects to BI and displays the Home Screen but when I click cameras or clips it just keeps searching. Cameras and clips do not show up. Using Windows 10 with latest updates. All was working fine until I took Windows updates after Dec 5, 2021.
Solved: My port forward in my router was TCP. I added another forward for UDP. Both forwards use port 80. In addition I discovered my cell provider, Koodo/Telus was changing my IP while in the BlueIris app. The IP at login was different than the IP when I tried to access the cameras and clips. Found this by looking at the log file. When I ran the app thru ExpressVPN it worked since now the IP is coming from the location of my ExpressVPN server location. Hopefully this may help others.
andyadams222

Post by andyadams222 »

I use OpenVpn on my router as I don't like to open ports.
this thesis writing service is great for helping me to cope with writing such as essays.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi andyadams222,

Your signature appears to be in violation of the forum terms and conditions. Are you a spammer ? If not, I really think you should do your own thesis/essay rather than paying somebody else to do it. It's not big, and it's not clever.
Forum Moderator.