Access Blue Iris on LAN (Building New Computer)

KeithGP

Access Blue Iris on LAN (Building New Computer)

Post by KeithGP »

I think I may be overthinking the setup. Here's what I am trying to do.

My main computer has been my Blue Iris server and has housed all of the recordings. I have accessed it remotely and over the LAN. Accessing the computer is NOT the problem.

I want to relegate this main computer to be the NAS of the house. I will put it in the closest and continue to access it remotely and it will continue to be my Blue Iris, Plex, Sonarr, etc servers.

Is there a way to install the Blue Iris app on the new computer yet still access the old computer which is still the main server? The way that I have accessed the main server has been remotely via the smartphone app and via the LAN IP.

Is there a way to use the Blue Iris app on the new computer to access the Blue Iris server remotely over the LAN on the old computer?
HeneryH

Re: Access Blue Iris on LAN (Building New Computer)

Post by HeneryH »

Yes, with BI5, but you need two licenses.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yes as Henery said, two BI installations, even if one is the master and the other is just controlling it and not actually doing anything requires two licenses. I know some have specific reasons not to but a lot of us just remote desktop to the server from whatever computer... it's what I do and I have zero issue with it. In my opinion it's an easier/simpler setup anyway. One installation, one version, I just connect to the server if I need to make a change. Otherwise I use the mobile app and/or UI3 interface to just view my footage.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
KeithGP

Post by KeithGP »

Matts1984 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:21 pm Yes as Henery said, two BI installations, even if one is the master and the other is just controlling it and not actually doing anything requires two licenses. I know some have specific reasons not to but a lot of us just remote desktop to the server from whatever computer... it's what I do and I have zero issue with it. In my opinion it's an easier/simpler setup anyway. One installation, one version, I just connect to the server if I need to make a change. Otherwise I use the mobile app and/or UI3 interface to just view my footage.
HeneryH wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 am Yes, with BI5, but you need two licenses.
Thank you. I have been wonderful with version 4.0 Do you think that I can upgrade the server to 5.0 and install to use version 4.0 on the new computer with it? Or, will it take 2 BI 5.0 installations?
KeithGP

Post by KeithGP »

GMTFeaps wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:35 am Is it possible to upgrade the main server to Blue Iris version 5.0 and use version 4.0 on the new computer, or would it require two separate installations of Blue Iris 5.0 with distinct licenses?
GMTFeaps, I am no expert, but I believe that once you upgrade the 4.0 to 5.0, that license carries to that installation. So, you wouldn't be able to install the old 4.0 anywhere because it would now be the new 5.0. I ended up upgrading like you proposed and getting a second 5.0. I would suggest contacting BlieIris and they will help you get it going and with pricing since you own an instance already. I will attest to that.