FOSCAM G4

IAmATeaf

Re: FOSCAM G4

Post by IAmATeaf »

Hadn’t appreciated the cam was Wi-Fi connected.

I’d personally skip everything else and try wired to eliminate the cam itself.

When you live stream the cam in VLC is the stream actually live or is it delayed slightly? If you have the time shown in the stream then check if there is a slight delay. I’m wondering if the reason why the VLC stream is smooth as it’s simply doing a better job of buffering?
davidcbittner

Post by davidcbittner »

Ok point taken about not mentioning this camera has the dongle like a lot of these do for the power supply and ethernet connection. So I'm sure the problem is NOT BI it's either this Foscam G4 camera or just my lack of knowledge on video and all the things that go with it like bit rate and frame rate etc. To date all the other cameras you saw listed in the previous post showing the stats are not as new as this one and all of those had a web interface you could just use your browser to either view the stream and/or get to the setup to change quality and frame rate and all those good things. This is the newest camera I purchased and was not expecting that Foscam now makes you use their proprietary app to not only view the video stream but also get in there and make changes. Had I know that I probably would have picked a different camera than the foscam. I've had great luck with the Amcrest camera which is one that is right beside this new Foscam and the Amcrest works flawless on the same wifi network.

So I went out in the woods and brought this inside and hooked it up to the ethernet and it seemed to stream just fine however the fPS was set at 20 but in the BI status monitor it never got above 15fps

While I had it here I tried 3 different wifi AP points I have here. The one I am connecting to when the camera is down in the woods, another AP I have on my patio and direct to the wifi in the motorola cable modem. I strategically located the camera so that it was damn near equal distance from each AP. IT did appear to maybe stream a little smoother maybe but I still saw it glitch. The only time I did not see it glitch (pause/freeze for a second or two then catchup) was connected to the ethernet.

I'm going to reset the camera to factory, turn the ONVIF on and then just start from scratch and check to see if any other camera configuration works better etc. After that I think if I don't get better results this is going back to Amazon and I'm going to get something else perhaps another Amcrest. I appreciate everyone that has jumped in here and tried to help me figure this out. Once I do the reset and basically start over I'll post an update of my findings. This may be a few days before you hear from me. I start a new job tomorrow after having worked at the same company for 25 years then being "downsized" because of the overseas factor (bastards) I'm a little nervous about this first day and there is all kinds of orientation and HR classes I have do to before the end of the week. Thankfully this new job is remote too.

David
TimG

Post by TimG »

Good luck with everything :D

Let us know what happens when you have time.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
louyo

Post by louyo »

Best of luck with the new job.
You will do great and they are fortunate to get your experience and skills.
pootug

Post by pootug »

Does this help cam is wired:
Attachments
000696.jpg
000696.jpg (119.2 KiB) Viewed 91695 times
000697.jpg
000697.jpg (106.38 KiB) Viewed 91695 times
000698.jpg
000698.jpg (119.07 KiB) Viewed 91695 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

davidcbittner wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:15 pm I'm a little nervous about this first day...

Belated best wishes for your new endeavor. Hopefully it went well!

And If the G4 doesn't work out there are plenty of other solid options in the same general price range. Amcrest is an obvious candidate to explore but most of their cameras in a similar price and functionality range also now use a proprietary platform for configuration and management similar to FOSCAM called Smart Home. No webUI for individual camera configuration and management with Smart Home..., at least not in stock form. If the camera Model begins with ASH it is part of the Smart Home family.

I noticed a Wyze Cam in your stats list. Depending on your purpose/application for the G4, and/or if you want to have some fun and get a great picture and killer night performance at the same time, there's always a WyzeCam v3 with an external antenna mod! LOL Either their RTSP beta firmware or the wz_mini_hack custom firmware are both easy to use and both work surprisingly well..., and are free! (Sorry -- just thinking out loud and that's a whole other thread anyway.)

Your plan is a good one and should determine a few things one way or another for the G4. That said, it would certainly seem to be a wi-fi connectivity or configuration issue given the more favorable results when hardwired.

Good luck with everything. Looking forward to your next report.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

pootug wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:27 am Does this help cam is wired:
Is that BI config info being applied to a G4?
pootug

Post by pootug »

no its on a fOSCAM fi9928P thought it may help in someway as its been rock solid for a couple of years now..
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Gotcha.

Occasionally alternate MRL info from the same manufacturer can yield more specific performance results than the generic ONVIF designations for unlisted cameras. Was just curious if that may be the case.

Thanks.