Pre-Trigger Record time

TimG

Re: Pre-Trigger Record time

Post by TimG »

The BI5 help file states:
5.7.7 - May 24, 2023
In order to reduce the chance for inadvertent configuration errors, this version enforces the use of required settings when dual-streaming is employed. Specifically, direct-to-disk recording, a pre-trigger buffer of at least 5 seconds, and no “limit decoding.”
Whenever the pre-trigger buffer is configured yet it contains no key frame, the yellow caution icon will be shown in the camera’s window. In this case, increase the key frame rate to at least 0.25 via direct camera browser configuration.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

That's a conditional disclaimer with no technical or logical explanation.

And isn't that the version that pissed everyone off with the pre-trigger 'enforcement' that has since been revoked?
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I thought that it had been revoked but the OP does state with the latest version of BI?

I can’t check as I gave up chasing the rainbow with the latest versions of BI years ago and am quite happy with a version from ages ago, that and my support has run out
louyo

Post by louyo »

OK, so there I was running the 5.7.6.8 version (May, 2023) with everything working, fat,dumb and happy. So, you made me run the current version (8/1) to test again. Bingo, 5.0 or greater. Tantalizes you by letting you set it at 2.0, but reverts to 5.0. I can live with it, but went back to previous. Not a pioneer.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

My leap of faith after a couple of previous upgrade disasters was to 5.7.4.2 from 5.5.7.8. Pretty ballsy, but my support/upgrades was due to expire and I figured what the hell..., I'll have a year's worth of versions to try until I find one that works or can just return to the 5.5 if all else fails. I at least wanted the option.

This particular upgrade went without a hitch and it's been rock solid with only a couple of anomalies so far that may or may not actually be among all the 'new features' I've yet to explore or understand..., which is where my skepticism kicks in when I read proclamations about what is often presented as 'inside info that most folks don't know about yet' or 'it's in the Wiki or Cliff's Notes' and 'you should be doing it this way because the assholes at IPCT say you should', blah, blah, blah.

After being a fairly involved user of Blue Iris since May 2022, I've seen just as much bad advice and downright wrong information being spewed like gospel as I've seen good, solid and well explained information of enduring value not containing caveats or disclaimers that are basically just preludes to the next update -- which unfortunately is typically a batch of fixes for what wasn't broken in the first place vs. any substantive new value added features or functionality.

But everybody's an expert. Their cut and paste skills prove it, dammit! LOL

And leave my 2 second Pre-Trigger time alone! My Reolinks depend on it!
TimG

Post by TimG »

Cough... Dahua... cough...

That's for the Reddit users who think we are paid by Dahua. No sign of that bag of money yet. Must search harder.
Forum Moderator.
louyo

Post by louyo »

>>No sign of that bag of money yet. Must search harder.
Check the back door. :)
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

>>>No sign of that bag of money yet. Must search harder.

A guitar player over at IPCT has it.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Dang :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Rantech

Post by Rantech »

Interestingly, I recently upgraded BI and have now encountered the forced 5 sec min pre-trigger time ... However, my installation uses multiple profiles and It is only enforcing the 5 sec pre-trigger buffer on Profiles 1 and 2. Seems like there is a "bug" and it does not enforce this pre-trigger time on subsequent profiles and my profiles 3 and 4 still have the original 0.7 sec pre-trigger times.

It seems a workaround would be to not use Profiles 1 and 2, and use only profiles 3 and higher ... I haven't checked to see what happens if I completely ignore profiles 1 and 2 and instead use 3 thru 6 but it would be interesting ... albeit perhaps a lot of reconfiguration on a lot of cameras. In addition, if the 5 sec is intended to be across the board and this is a "bug/glitch", now that it has been raised, it might change in the next version :)

From my reading of the threads, it seems this was introduced to deal with problems with certain camera brands ... I wonder if it would be possible for BI to check the camera brand under the video settings and then only enforce the 5 sec buffer in the record tab if one of those affected brands. Alternatively, perhaps a setting could be added to the main Blue Iris settings where a check box could be used to allow the user to decide for themselves if they were willing to globally override the 5 sec rule and take the risk with shorter pre-trigger times. The default could be checked for 5 sec min buffer but the user could uncheck (with a warning message about the risk) to globally over-ride this min? It is quite frustrating to have this extra 5 sec to review on every recording when you are searching thru a day (or multiple days) of clips to try and find an incident or event. For one or two clips, it is not a big deal but if you are reviewing dozens or hundreds of clips, cumulatively it adds up.