[BUG] RTSP Wyze Cam v2 ... anyone have it working properly?

ltek

[BUG] RTSP Wyze Cam v2 ... anyone have it working properly?

Post by ltek »

I have been using Samsung cams for years with BI4 & 5. Yesterday I got Wyze v2 Cams and put on the RTSP firmware (release & beta versions). BI5 connects for a few seconds then disconnects forever until I disable/enable the cam manually.

After testing for multiple straight hours here's my results of a Multi-hour test...

Dedicated PC ::
BI5... cam stays connected for a min or two before going "no signal", difficult to get it to reconnect.
VLC... 100% solid the entire time *works perfectly* -- oddly, when VLC is running BI5 starts working. ****
... gig ethernet very fast i5 (20% CPU util max, under 10% NIC util)

Office PC running VLC :: RTSP connection 100% solid the entire time *works perfectly*
... gig ethernet very fast i5 (20% CPU util max, under 10% NIC util)

Android Phone ::
... Wifi connected, same distance from router, siting near the Wyze cam
Wyze Android app... RTSP Connection enabled, 100% solid the entire time *works perfectly*
Tiny Cam... blinks in/out just like BI5 does.

Samsung Camera sitting next to the Wyze cam never drops off, ever.

Looks like a problem with BI5 since VLC works on 2 different PCs and even the Wifi Connected Android Phone. AND since BI5 starts working when VLC is also running next to it, seems like BI5 dsi not handing the RTSP stream properly and something that VLC is doing make it work on BI5

Anyone else seen this or know how to fix?

Anyone opened a ticket with BI support?
Thixotropic

Re: [BUG] RTSP Wyze Cam v2 ... anyone have it working properly?

Post by Thixotropic »

I've had two running for months and they occasionally drop signal, but then pick up almost immediately. My settings are below.
wyze-settings.png
wyze-settings.png (96.89 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
wyze-settings2.png
wyze-settings2.png (123.78 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Raccoontodd

Post by Raccoontodd »

Ive had my Wyze running for over a month in BI5 no problems. Only once did it lockup and I noticed it ha reset its IP to my router as the same IP as of another device that was connected. Rebooted Wyze and its running flawless again for a week. I may give it a static IP next time I log in to the router. otherwise its been perfect for me.
fuzzewuzze

Post by fuzzewuzze »

If anyone figures this out, i'd love to know how. Im about to drop BI5 for ZoneMinder or ..hell pretty much anything at this point. Every other RTSP software works with it just fine but BI5.
One thing i found does help is set the decoder compatability mode in your cameras network options, but it also ends up adding tons of artifacts to the video which triggers motion alerts, which makes it worthless.

I dont understand why BI5 constantly disconnects, while like OP said VLC runs continous with no issues. Because i have a hacked Wyze with Dafang FW i can even set it to 1080p 5k bitrate with CBR and have no problems with VLC. Meanwhile it just disconnects repeatedly with BI5 if i set it over 1k CBR @ 720p.
ltek

Post by ltek »

thx for the help but its not working.

I have 10 wifi cams (3 diff: 2 Samsung models + 1 Hikvision) scattered around that work fine.
Got my first Wyze v2 this week (14 others still in the box) and now I canot get it to connect at all. Maybe a factory reset is in order but the Samsung cam next 12" away on the same shelf connects fine.
When it did connect it dropped off only a few seconds to a minute or so after it connects. Same problem with Android TinyCam. Oddly it works fine in the Wyze Cam app on Android so I suspect that app is not using RTSP.

I wish Wyze would publish the the way your app communicates so apps like BI, TinyCam, etc can use the cams properly. I have 15 Wyze Cams that are 100% useless right now.

thx
TimG

Post by TimG »

oddly, when VLC is running BI5 starts working
I seem to remember hearing something like that a couple of years ago. I can't find it with a quick web search. It's probable that it would either have been BI or Emby. What was it :o
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Raccoontodd

Post by Raccoontodd »

Wyze has a rtsp version that is for people having drops and connection problems. This is the version I am using with no problems at all with it. Unfortunately Wyze has it semi hidden on their site and I do not have the link for it handy. It doesn't have a version number on the file like the others do. It *was* posted at the time the last version (41) was made available for download and is listed as "beta". Give that version a try.
ltek

Post by ltek »

Raccoontodd wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:03 am Wyze has a rtsp version that is for people having drops and connection problems. This is the version I am using with no problems at all with it. Unfortunately Wyze has it semi hidden on their site and I do not have the link for it handy. It doesn't have a version number on the file like the others do. It *was* posted at the time the last version (41) was made available for download and is listed as "beta". Give that version a try.
Yup, tried it... oddly, its worse. The non-beta connected and VLC would force it to reconnect... the beta almost never connects on reboot, and never re-connects. I may just give up and ebay these. The Samsungs are much better quality images and I'm tired of trying to get a hack to work. These are definitely good for $15 for a toy or baby monitor... but not beyond that.
Raccoontodd

Post by Raccoontodd »

One thing to also do with the Wyze cams is make sure to assign it a static IP address in your router right away off its MAC address, Even before you set it up in BI. I have noticed that the Wyze will at times try to randomly change there own address to a conflicting one in the router and then they disconnect, lock up or wont reconnect.
inky

Post by inky »

The single biggest factor was to use the wyze app to set Night Vision Mode to OFF, in my case.
If your rtsp streams are more stable during the day, maybe give this a try.
The area is well-lighted in my case, so this is OK.

Might be something about the motor/actuator that flips the IR filter... or something really obscure that I can't imagine.
I also disabled anything that might consume camera cpu (timestamp watermark, audio recording, etc), but those did not lessen the rtsp drops. But, I'm leaving them off for now.

I also found this to be significant: 4.28.4.40 was more stable than 4.28.4.41 (currently posted on the rtsp page)
but there are two variants of the Wyze Cam "V2" so that could be a factor too.