OOps - Need a Clean Start - How ?

o2manyfish

OOps - Need a Clean Start - How ?

Post by o2manyfish »

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user (paid).

I started with a trial version. I installed 26 cams, no recording - just viewing. I moved from my test computer to my NVR computer. On the NVR I loaded the configuration file I created on the test machine.

Once loaded the NVR would lock up as soon as I started BI5. I did some reading and bought a license to hopefully alleviate the CPU overload. But it did not.

The problem I have now, is I haven't been able to make a new clean (registered) start. I have uninstalled multiple times. I have deleted the Blue Iris Folders, and the Folders in the Users APP data.

But as soon as I install a clean copy and open the software it finds the last config file (the 26 cams) and then freezes the computer.

I did some searching before coming in to post like a whiny baby - but I couldn't find the steps to remove everything for a 100% clean install.

Thanks

Dave
o2manyfish --- You help me with my Security Cams and I can help you with your reef tanks. Just ask :)
NGNeer314

Re: OOps - Need a Clean Start - How ?

Post by NGNeer314 »

i just went through this myself. I uninstalled BI, deleted its folder from ProgramFiles, and THEN opened up registry editor and deleted everything in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris.

the registry is where all the config is stored apparently.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Also, you can export the Registration info, then, delete the entire branch, re install BI. Before starting it the first time, Double click the .reg file you saved to enter the registration info it back into the registry.
This way, you don't have to enter it manually. I've used this a few times.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Registration
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

MikeBwca wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:38 am Also, you can export the Registration info, then, delete the entire branch, re install BI. Before starting it the first time, Double click the .reg file you saved to enter the registration info it back into the registry.
This way, you don't have to enter it manually. I've used this a few times.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Registration
^+1 MikeNwca is spot on. I would follow his instructions. I have performed the above steps in the past and it worked perfectly. Blue Iris configuration will be reset to defaults. You will need to re-setup Blue Iris 5 like you did in the beginning.

Be aware, if you are running Blue Iris as a "Service", you should un-select "Run as a Windows service" in Blue Iris Settings -> Startup tab before following MikeNwca instructions for resetting Blue Iris settings. This is because after resetting Blue Iris back to its defaults, Blue Iris would be running as an application but Windows would still be starting Blueiris.exe as a service every time you restarted your PC. This would most likely cause problems.

If you are running Blue Iris as a service and are locked out of the Blue Iris console from making changes, then perform these steps when resetting Blue Iris back to its defaults.

1. Using REGEDIT, export Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Registration to your Desktop.

2. Open CMD Prompt as "Run as Administrator".

3. From the CMD prompt type the following commands to STOP and DELETE BlueIris as a service:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> SC stop BlueIris
C:\WINDOWS\system32> SC delete BlueIris

4. Using REGEDIT, Delete the entire branch key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software

5. Double click the .reg file you saved to enter the registration info it back into the registry.

6. Now launch Blue Iris.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

I've been using BI since v3 and have spent all the time since fine tuning BI settings - like everyone. To me, a re-install isn't a trivial process... so I would like to do a reality check before I shut down Jurassic Park and restart it. With that in mind, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following.

NGNeer314
deleted its folder from ProgramFiles
When you do a fresh start and delete the program folder, what about the backup_x.reg files, camera reg's, etc.? Are they worth keeping? Also, I made a clone of a camera and it's hidden - how will I be able to review the clips associated with it? Rebuild the clone from scratch? That is to say, if you want to have access to your clips history (in the Clips Panel), do you have to make all the camera names what they were before? How do other folks deal with that?
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
shap

Post by shap »

Well, what was described here is how to make a really clean install, including deletion of all files, including clips, etc.

If you need to save the old data you should not use this procedure. You may try to export / import settings and preserve the database,
but in this case what do you gain?
Blue Iris 5.4.9.18 x64 (8/9/2021) on an i7-6700K, 16GB, DeepStack CPU version, Loryta IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED , Amcrest FCM-IP8M-T2499EW28MM, Amcrest AD110
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

No, I hear you and was noodling that out. Saving old crap defeats the purpose, as does importing old BI 4 data when you perform the fresh install. So yeah, that confirms my thinking. So that leads to the "use case". Say you need to look at something that happened a week ago...

After a fresh install to start over how does one view historical Alerts/Clips? All of the alerts that appear in the Clips pane are tied to a specific camera. If you wipe them out, how would you review an alert clip from a week ago? It's not going to appear in the Clips pane unless... and I'm trying to confirm this... if you rebuilt all of your cameras using the same name that you did before. If you did that, named them the same, would you see the clips from a week ago? And you'd have to do that for any clones/hidden camera's too, other wise you won't see the old alert clips in the panel... right?

So when you did your fresh install, how did you deal with that issue? Or you don't give a sh*t because you can find them if you need them?

Sorry if it seems I'm a dolt... I just want to prepare properly before I do this. I may be over thinking it, but better to ask.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
shap

Post by shap »

You are asking a good question. I do not know the answer as I did not tried it.

Said that, BVR files you have can still be viewed in BI after you reinstall them. I probably will lose the alert positions after a clean DB install, so not sure this can be recovered. But at least you still will have a video.
Blue Iris 5.4.9.18 x64 (8/9/2021) on an i7-6700K, 16GB, DeepStack CPU version, Loryta IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED , Amcrest FCM-IP8M-T2499EW28MM, Amcrest AD110
varghesesa

Post by varghesesa »

See Software Startup Issues article.
https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... =12&t=2052

-- Sam
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Holy Schnikey's !! That's a great article Sam.