V4 to V5 Upgrade Procedure

boomer

V4 to V5 Upgrade Procedure

Post by boomer »

I have decided the time is right to go forward with V5 upgrade. I am currently running V4. Is there a documented procedure on how to accomplish this with the least amount of fallout. I looked in the V5 manual and did not see anything. I would like to know what to expect to allow me to have a backup/backout plan if something goes wrong. Perhaps I have missed something.
reddawg

Re: V4 to V5 Upgrade Procedure

Post by reddawg »

boomer wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:30 pm I have decided the time is right to go forward with V5 upgrade. I am currently running V4. Is there a documented procedure on how to accomplish this with the least amount of fallout. I looked in the V5 manual and did not see anything. I would like to know what to expect to allow me to have a backup/backout plan if something goes wrong. Perhaps I have missed something.
Step 1) Back up your Blue Iris 4 Configuration

Back up your Blue Iris 4 settings by clicking on the "Export settings" button in Blue Iris 4 settings -> About tab and copy the exported settings file ("Blue Iris.reg") from C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4 to a safe location like your Desktop.

Step 2) Un-configure Service Mode

If you run Blue Iris 4 as a service, you will need to open Blue Iris 4 and turn off that feature temporarily. It is in Blue Iris Options -> Startup. Un-select "Run as a Windows service" checkbox.

Step 3) Install Blue Iris 5

Download and install Blue Iris Version 5 Full Install from here: https://blueirissoftware.com/blueiris.exe

Step 4) Run Blue Iris 5

Both Blue Iris V4 and V5 both share the same location for their configuration settings in the Windows registry. Basically, the Blue Iris V5 installer converts V4 settings in the registry to reflect V5. For this reason, you should never switch back and forth between Blue Iris V4 and V5. If you want to go back to V4, uninstall V5, run V4 and re-import the V4 backup file called "Blue Iris.reg" in the folder C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4.

Step 5) Backup Blue Iris 5 Configuration before Uninstalling Blue Iris 4!!!!

Back up your Blue Iris 5 settings by clicking on the "Export settings" button in Blue Iris 5 settings -> About tab. The exported file is called "Blue Iris.reg" and is located in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5.

Step 6) Uninstall Blue Iris 4

After Blue Iris 5 is running correctly, you can uninstall Blue Iris 4. When it asks if you want to delete registry entries and activation, click no. Unfortunately, it will still delete your Blue Iris registry entries and activation. This is a bug in Blue Iris 4's uninstaller. This will cause Blue Iris 5 to run in Demo mode. This is why we backed up Blue Iris 5 settings in Step 5.

Step 7) Restore Blue Iris 5 settings

If Blue Iris 5 has suddenly lost activation, restore your backup by clicking on "Import settings" button in settings -> About tab and select "Blue Iris.reg" in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5.

Step 8) Configure Service Mode

Optional. After Blue Iris 4 is uninstalled, it is safe to re-enable service mode.

In Blue Iris 5, the options menu has moved slightly. Access it by clicking this menu button, then Settings.
Last edited by reddawg on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Thanks for this info. Good thing I asked. How long can you run V5 with V4 installed just to ensure everything is working hours, days a week? I would prefer to test it for at least a few days or more before I remove V4. SO how painful is it to roll back to V4 if it is becomes necessary. Othrewise it looks pretty straightforward. Which license key do I need?
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

boomer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am How long can you run V5 with V4 installed just to ensure everything is working hours, days a week?
you can keep them both installed on the same system with no problems, you can only run one version at a time though.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Ok thanks. Just want to test V5 well before I cut the V4 version loose.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

boomer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am Thanks for this info. Good thing I asked. How long can you run V5 with V4 installed just to ensure everything is working hours, days a week? I would prefer to test it for at least a few days or more before I remove V4.
You can keep V4 installed as long as you want and it will not cause a problem unless you switch back and forth between V4 and V5. This is because V4 and V5 share the same location in the Windows registry for their configuration settings.

Most people who keep V4 installed when running V5 is because they know that uninstalling V4 hoses V5 and they don't want to deal with it. As long as you have backed up V5 before uninstalling V4, you can re-import the V5 backup (exported settings) file and recover from the problems created by uninstalling V4.
boomer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am SO how painful is it to roll back to V4 if it is becomes necessary. Othrewise it looks pretty straightforward. Which license key do I need?
For both V4 and V5, you need to specify the V4 license key and not the Extended Support and Maintenance key. The Extended Support and Maintenance key gets linked to the V4 license which gives you a free upgrade to V5.

Rolling back to V4 would require the following steps.

1) Do you have a V4 backup? If no, then you don't have a path to rolling back without manually re-entering all your cameras and settings.

2) If you are running Blue Iris 5 as a Service, un-select "Run as a Windows service" in Settings -> Startup.

3) Uninstall Blue Iris V5.

4) Delete current Blue Iris settings in Windows registry because they have been altered by V5.

a. Run REGEDIT and delete the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software

or

b. Create a file called "DeleteBI.REG" using notepad with the following lines:

-------[ Paste below this line ]-------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software]

-------[ Paste above this line ]-------

c. Double click on the file called "DeleteBI.REG". This will delete the Blue Iris settings from the registry.

5) Re-install Blue Iris V4 full installer (v4.8.6.3). This may not be necessary.

6) Run Blue Iris V4. It will be in Demo mode (15 days). Continue and re-import your V4 backup file ("Blue Iris.reg") you exported and hopefully moved somewhere safe outside of C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Ok Thanks much. I don't anticipate going back to V4 but I like to be prepared. This should give me all I need to know .