Fine tune motion/alert/record settings on already captured video

PICam

Fine tune motion/alert/record settings on already captured video

Post by PICam »

Hi,

Is it possible to try different motion detection settings on an already recorded video?

Currently I have to make some adjustments and then Wait for live video to see if the adjustments work as I would like to. This is very time consuming.

Why can't I just replay that footage over and over again while making adjustments and seeing how the new settings work? That would be so simple.

No more spending hours and days to get the best motion/alert settings. No more waiting till it rains or till the burglar breaks in to readjust all those settings.
Just replay any footage, adjust motion/make time/pre record buffer/zones etc etc and see immediately what would be recorded and then save these fine-tuned settings to the live camera.

If this is already possible please let me know how to do this?

Thanks!
MikeBwca

Re: Fine tune motion/alert/record settings on already captured video

Post by MikeBwca »

Yes, there is a way to do this.

1. Adjust the motion detection settings on the camera you want to change. I would suggest first exporting the cameras settings to a file name with a suffix of something like 'camera1, original'. This was you can import the original settings if the changes do not work out.
2. Open/Play the clip.
3. Right click on the video and enable 'Test run video thru motion dector'.
4. Play the video. This will run the video as if it were a live feed with the new settings.
Notes:
- You need at least 5-6 seconds lead time before the movement.
- Motion will not trigger clips or alerts.
5. Export the camera settings.

Remember to disable 'Test run video thru motion detector'.

Testing new motion detection settings can be very time consuming. The method I use occasionally...
I clone a camera 1, 2, 3, or more times, giving the clones names like 'cam1test1, cam1test2...'. Then, I set the motion detection settings in each clone to a slightly different. I let this run hours/days, then compare each clone to see which one has gotten all/most of the motion I want.
Yes, this uses more cpu & disk. But, only during the testing period. after which you can delete the clones files and disable/delete the clones.
Keep the good clone. Then either export that & import into the normal camera. Or, delete the others, and rename to the normal camera.
I've done this several times. Once I cloned a camera around 6 times with different settings. It was a time saver.
PICam

Post by PICam »

Thanks for the helpful information MikeBwca!
I did not know that feature exists. I would expect a button in the camera motion/alert settings to take you to the simulation routine,..and not an option while viewing the clip.

Thanks for the tips too!

:D
Bignose2

Post by Bignose2 »

I know an old thread but the question posed is one I often come back too.

The test & tuning is helpful but does not accurately reflect the real live actions.

It will show AI & motion detection but separately & hence less processing going on & so often will pick up AI or even motion BETTER on this testing.

Also to really confirm when motion is detected & AI triggers is mostly much later/slower live than I would calculate looking at the timings on the video during playback.

Does seem strange you cannot test this, I know might still not be 100% as if having to gather a live stream & what might be happening on other cameras at that time but would think pretty close.

If anyone does have any more info. of how to test, like to OP, I have to get in my car, drive in& out of the house each time to test, different speeds, weather, day light, just impossible, often a week later of normal coming & going before I can work out what settings are best.