BI ios app - No access to clips

colelt1

Re: BI ios app - No access to clips

Post by colelt1 »

Bluescamera wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:45 am
Exact same problem I have on a friends business system.
I changed the router out to a different model, a year 2003 unit I have laying around for testing, but get this.
On my Android phone now it works very good, but on his Apple phone it still has same problem. However on his apple phone he can access his home BI4 system just fine. He had BI4 on the business system and had problems, so I know it's not BI5. Driving me crazy !
Just a FYI I am using Firefox on my (iOS) phone so I get the full featured BI site, not safari. But I have the same issues on any PC with any browsers.
Bluescamera

Post by Bluescamera »

I solved this issue.
Went from Cox to Verizon.
Verizon had faster speed and lower pricing.
Don't know if speed did the trick but it is fluid and works as it should.
colelt1

Post by colelt1 »

Bluescamera wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:42 am I solved this issue.
Went from Cox to Verizon.
Verizon had faster speed and lower pricing.
Don't know if speed did the trick but it is fluid and works as it should.
Thanks for the update, I saw this and decided to check my plan, was on 300/300 for 80-30rebate, changed to 1000/1000 for $70-20rebate.

I rebooted everything get 918MB up/784MB down on a speedtest. It did not fix my issue, but at lest I upgraded my internet for free. I'm pretty convinced that it is a ISP QoS thing at this point.
colelt1

Post by colelt1 »

FYI it works now. I moved all my equipment into my new house, and kept the same ATT Fiber 1GB service but they provided a new gateway/router device. Punched in my port forwards on the new gateway and that solved the issue. Chalk it up to ISP doing something funky.
TheUsualSuspect

Post by TheUsualSuspect »

Bluescamera wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:44 am Did anyone ever find a solution to this ? I am battling this exact same issue on a machine of mine.
Thanks.
I had similar symptoms: everything used to work with BI, and then all of a sudden (most likely with BI Android App updates) I could not access video or clips remotely with the app. The app worked perfectly on the LAN. The app would connect remotely, but just not show video (or show it for a second and then crash). The UI3 web interface worked perfectly.

In the end, this came down to the fact that my AT&T Pace 5268AC DSL UVerse Router's port forwarding is broken and/or does not play nice with the BI app (but does forward the HTML5 in a browser fine). This was hard to debug, because I could connect with the app and the UI3 version worked fine, so why would I suspect that the forwarding was having an issue? Two ways to confirm that your router is not forwarding something particular to the app are: (1) put your BI server in the DMZ for a little bit and see if you can now access video remotely; (2) test your forwarded port with canyouseeme.org. If canyouseeme says the port is not responding, then the BI app will not work.

There are various work-arounds to this issue. What I finally settled on is to add another router (LinkSys EA9200) to my LAN and logically put it in the DMZ with my ATT router (that ATT requires and cannot be replaced). This essentially enables passthrough to the second router. You can test that the second router is accessible by turning off ping filtering (like "filter anonymous requests" on LinkSys) and testing if you can ping it with something like ipaddressguide.com/ping. My ATT router is never ping-able. Here's the key: whatever is not working with port forwarding with the BI app is working with the DMZ forwarding (i.e., DMZ lets everything through unfiltered). Now you can set your BI server so that the second router is the gate way and set up port forwarding on the second router. NOW the BI app will work remotely. You'll want to make sure only one router is handling DHCP requests and providing WiFi connections so you don't get collisions.

Quite frankly, this was a pain to find and fix——and this issue is not listed in the BI "gotchas" so I don't think BI is aware of the issue——but now that I have this setup, I can enable VLANs on the second router, have a VPN server running (VPN doesn't work on ATT routers for the same reason: port forwarding does not work), etc. I might even let the second router handle DHCP and wifi and disable these features on the ATT router.

Given the prevalence of ATT routers, it is no wonder that the BI Android app has so many 1 star reviews in the Google Play store due to its inability to work remotely (and some snarky commenters saying it is simply a bandwidth issue——it is not; I now have much higher resolution working remotely as I learned about these settings when trying to lower the resolutions to get the app to work). Hopefully, the BI programmers will run down what is not playing nice with the ATT routers that is not an issue with the browser interface, because I doubt most people are going to want their server in the DMZ or have the time, money, and patience to setup the double router configuration.