Blue Iris drops Wyze V2 video, won't reconnect

MikeBwca

Re: Blue Iris drops Wyze V2 video, won't reconnect

Post by MikeBwca »

fugere wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:49 pm ...Am I wasting my time and money trying to get these cheap but nice cams working with BI??
It's all relative to how much you want to spend on your network, and, how much time you want to spend, vs more on cameras.
Raccoontodd

Post by Raccoontodd »

I just picked up a Wyze pan yesterday and flashed it with the rtsp firmware. I used the demo one that says its for people experiencing problems such as drops and lag thats under the styandard one offered for download (xxx-xx-4x something). Its been running flawless for over 24 hrs now in BI5. I currently run 12 "wireless" cameras though BI5 with zero problems. I have a mixture of Yucheng, FDT, Foscam and now Wyze between the twelve. The key to this is having a excellent router to do it. I'm running the top of the line Netgear router that has 3 bands and outstanding range. I also added +9db antennas to every cam but the Wyze since it has no external one. I get a range of over 200 feet around the exterior of my house to all cameras even having the router in the basement near an outside brick wall. I plan on buying a couple more Wyze now after having zero problems setting this one up. I wish pan/tilt would work with rtsp ,but I can live without it since motion tracking works fine with the Wyze.
Raccoontodd

Post by Raccoontodd »

Update: I bought a 170 degree wide angle replacement lens off amazon for the wyze (12.99) and a 8db external antenna with the wire to connect to circuit board (7.99) that snaps on the wyze circuit board to replace the internal one using the same jack type.(you need to drill a hole for the antenna jack then in the wyze plastic housing then) neat little camera now with the wide field of view and about 150 foot range I can have it from the wifi router. And its working flawless now in BI5 for over 48hrs without a hicup. No lockups or drops.
lens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082NN7LR2/?c ... _lig_dp_it
antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PL ... UTF8&psc=1
Housing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC ... UTF8&psc=1
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I have four of the Wyze V2 cams, 2 Amcrest cams, and a Nest cam, all running into Bi.

A single V2 cam is rock solid. When I add a 2nd V2 cam each of the V2's exhibits occasional signal losses. Add a 3rd V2, and it gets worse. Add the 4th V2 and they all take turns dropping out and coming back on.

As a result I only run 2 of the V2s at the same time, and tolerate the occasional signal loss. I used the RTSP firmware. It's all over the web that these things do this when paired together. I've just been hoping that Wyze would figure out a solution. I haven't checked to see if they have lately. I gave up.

By the way, all the other cameras are always rock solid, even when the Wyze cams are completely flaking out.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

The lens and antenna look like excellent add-ons, but the lens appears to be unavailable now. :(

EDIT: Just for fun I bought a few different types of wide angle lens kits meant for cell phones and a couple of those antennas. I'm going to see if I can make those Wyze cams a little more useful. I'll post some pics here of whatever rat-rig I come up with. I may also add an antenna to an old Amcrest 841 I have laying around and see if that makes any difference (although it's actually pretty stable out of the box).

I also got an inexpensive macro lens, so maybe I'll put together a little DIY video microscope. I should be able to 3D print some sort of holder for a microscope rig if the lens works. :)

Raccoontodd wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:18 am Update: I bought a 170 degree wide angle replacement lens off amazon for the wyze (12.99) and a 8db external antenna with the wire to connect to circuit board (7.99) that snaps on the wyze circuit board to replace the internal one using the same jack type.(you need to drill a hole for the antenna jack then in the wyze plastic housing then) neat little camera now with the wide field of view and about 150 foot range I can have it from the wifi router. And its working flawless now in BI5 for over 48hrs without a hicup. No lockups or drops.
lens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082NN7LR2/?c ... _lig_dp_it
antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PL ... UTF8&psc=1
Housing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC ... UTF8&psc=1
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

AndyC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:43 pm I have four of the Wyze V2 cams, 2 Amcrest cams, and a Nest cam, all running into Bi.

A single V2 cam is rock solid. When I add a 2nd V2 cam each of the V2's exhibits occasional signal losses. Add a 3rd V2, and it gets worse. Add the 4th V2 and they all take turns dropping out and coming back on.

As a result I only run 2 of the V2s at the same time, and tolerate the occasional signal loss. I used the RTSP firmware. It's all over the web that these things do this when paired together. I've just been hoping that Wyze would figure out a solution. I haven't checked to see if they have lately. I gave up.

By the way, all the other cameras are always rock solid, even when the Wyze cams are completely flaking out.
I have the exact same experience. I also have four Wyze V2 cameras (and two Amcrest) and a couple of older Logitech's. My V2's do exactly as described above. One is rock solid, add a second one and there is irregular intermittent dropouts. A third make's it worse, and a fourth makes it so that there is a tremendous amount of dropouts.

The other cameras are all wifi as well, and all rock solid.
ltek

Post by ltek »

Wyze cams are not stable for RTSP. If they publish thier API so BI5 can use it native that might help but I just sold all but one of them which I'll keep as a toy. I use Samsung SmartCams and they work great... and better quality images (by a lot) also. Yes, about 2x the cost of Wyze but worth it for image quality.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

The Wyze cams seem like they're hit or miss. They either work great or they're terrible.

I have one that's regularly loses signal but then recovers immediately. Over the last ~30 hours it's lost signal 6 times while none of the other 3 wifi cameras have lost signal at all. The Foscam R2 seems to be rock solid most of the time but it does have a much better antenna. There are after-market antennas that can be attached to the Wyze cams that are supposed to make a big difference in signal strength.

Other people have reported that running multiple Wyze cams are problematic, but I don't know if that's something related to the cameras or the way BI handles them, or both.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Hefner413

Post by Hefner413 »

Have any of you been able to enable PTZ?
digitalalien

Post by digitalalien »

I have 8 Wyze cams with the RTSP firmware that I am using with BI and a couple of them lock up or disconnect and reconnect often. My guess though is they just don't have a great signal. Some work pretty much flawlessly.