Storage Colors Legend (what is gold?)

MrMark

Storage Colors Legend (what is gold?)

Post by MrMark »

Please see attached screenshot. What does the yellow/gold color indicate? It would be nice to get more than 9TB out of a 10TB drive.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-21 134524.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 134524.jpg (142.04 KiB) Viewed 61 times
BruceH

Re: Storage Colors Legend (what is gold?)

Post by BruceH »

Not sure what the gold color is but a 10TB hard drive will only have a formatted capacity of 9.09TB, not sure how it would be possible to have more than that available

You could take a look at this for some explanation of the facts!
https://platinumdatarecovery.com/hard-d ... calculator
MrMark

Post by MrMark »

Well...I think that most people would very understandably expect the advertised drive size to be the same as the OS reports. But I've been working with computers since the dawn, so I do understand that binary HDD bytes are not the same as what the OS reports. I personally feel like it's ridiculous, but it's one of those things that "is what it is", as some like to say.

I still want to know what that gold color represents!
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Did you look in Disk Management on your computer to see what it might represent, I checked my system and it does not show any partitions with the "gold" color. Possibly a recovery partition, as my computer was custom built by myself it does not have a recovery partition.
MrMark

Post by MrMark »

That's a good thought, but it looks totally simple and clean to me:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 194333.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 194333.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Notice too that the 9313.98 GB shown by Windows doesn't match any of the numbers shown by Blue Iris. The numbers for D: drive don't match either, but at least it doesn't have that mysterious gold section.
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

I don't have any other ideas on what it might be, I would think that a recovery portion would show up in disk management. Hopefully someone else might have some ideas.