Storage Colors Legend (what is gold?)

MrMark

Storage Colors Legend (what is gold?)

Post by MrMark »

Please see attached screenshot. What does the yellow/gold color indicate? It would be nice to get more than 9TB out of a 10TB drive.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-21 134524.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 134524.jpg (142.04 KiB) Viewed 98 times
BruceH

Re: Storage Colors Legend (what is gold?)

Post by BruceH »

Not sure what the gold color is but a 10TB hard drive will only have a formatted capacity of 9.09TB, not sure how it would be possible to have more than that available

You could take a look at this for some explanation of the facts!
https://platinumdatarecovery.com/hard-d ... calculator
MrMark

Post by MrMark »

Well...I think that most people would very understandably expect the advertised drive size to be the same as the OS reports. But I've been working with computers since the dawn, so I do understand that binary HDD bytes are not the same as what the OS reports. I personally feel like it's ridiculous, but it's one of those things that "is what it is", as some like to say.

I still want to know what that gold color represents!
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Did you look in Disk Management on your computer to see what it might represent, I checked my system and it does not show any partitions with the "gold" color. Possibly a recovery partition, as my computer was custom built by myself it does not have a recovery partition.
MrMark

Post by MrMark »

That's a good thought, but it looks totally simple and clean to me:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 194333.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 194333.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Notice too that the 9313.98 GB shown by Windows doesn't match any of the numbers shown by Blue Iris. The numbers for D: drive don't match either, but at least it doesn't have that mysterious gold section.
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

I don't have any other ideas on what it might be, I would think that a recovery portion would show up in disk management. Hopefully someone else might have some ideas.
MrMark

Post by MrMark »

Blue Iris has so much potential...there's just no telling what all it could do, if only we knew what all of it was, and exactly how to use it. This mystery yellow/gold thing is just a tiny example of a thing that is right there in the interface for all to see, but not mentioned at the documentation at all.