motion activaed to trigger Shelly device

General discussion about Blue Iris
railstop

motion activaed to trigger Shelly device

Post by railstop »

I have looked around and found similar posts but not quite what I am looking for.
I have a shelly 1PM gen3 hooked up to a flood light in front of my shop. Nearby there is a camera in BI that I'd like to trigger the shelly to turn the flood light on at night when motion is detected, then turn off when motion is complete.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you
TimG

Re: motion activaed to trigger Shelly device

Post by TimG »

Hi, personally I use Homeseer HS4 for home automation, with Z-wave and Zigbee switches to do that with BI5. I don't know this Shelly device, but I see it will sit on your wifi. What we need to know then is how to switch the device. I'm assuming you can send commands to it ? What do they look like ?

Do you have MQTT running ? I think it will respond to MQTT commands, and BI5 talks MQTT. You could also use Home Assistant. Many options. What do you want to do ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
railstop

Post by railstop »

TimG wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:21 am Hi, personally I use Homeseer HS4 for home automation, with Z-wave and Zigbee switches to do that with BI5. I don't know this Shelly device, but I see it will sit on your wifi. What we need to know then is how to switch the device. I'm assuming you can send commands to it ? What do they look like ?

Do you have MQTT running ? I think it will respond to MQTT commands, and BI5 talks MQTT. You could also use Home Assistant. Many options. What do you want to do ?
I have not used MQTT. I am looking it to it now though.

The commands I'd like are when cam-x has motion triggered - turn on X device (light). when motion ends, turn X (light) off.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I was thinking more on the lines of 'curl" this or 'json" that commands from a browser. BI5 will be able to turn the light on when it is triggered and off when it resets, but it may not be exactly what you are after.
My home automation does a few extra things:
1. Only turns lights on if between sunset+ 30 mins or sunrise.
2. Has a 10 minute timer.
3. Continued movement resets the timer.
And a recent addition:
4. With CPAI only PERSON triggers it. Cars don't. Neither do animals or trees or spiders.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.