Memory Leak

wesley_witt

Memory Leak

Post by wesley_witt »

I'm seeing a serious memory leak in BI. The memory usage just continually increases until the system is unusable. I was running the latest version so I dropped back to 5.8.0.5, but that did not fix it. Does anyone have any insight as to how I can fix this?
TimG

Re: Memory Leak

Post by TimG »

I can tell you that I'm running BI5 v5.8.8.10 and memory usage is stable here. Have you checked that you have exempted the BI5 folders from your anti virus scans ? See Help file for details.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
wesley_witt

Post by wesley_witt »

i solved it by deleting the database & all recordings. memory is now stable, but there is clearly a bug in bi.
holmesm

Post by holmesm »

I am having the same issue. My system is windows 11, intel cpu, nvidia gpu, 256gtb ram. If I go back to 3/2/24 version 5.8.7.11 - my ram and cpu stay stable. Anything after that it just keeps climbing. I have Intel+VPP hardware acerbation on and have tried Nvidia and Intel and none with no difference. I have to restart daily otherwise my system becomes unusable.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

holmesm wrote:I am having the same issue. My system is windows 11, intel cpu, nvidia gpu, 256gtb ram. If I go back to 3/2/24 version 5.8.7.11 - my ram and cpu stay stable. Anything after that it just keeps climbing. I have Intel+VPP hardware acerbation on and have tried Nvidia and Intel and none with no difference. I have to restart daily otherwise my system becomes unusable.
If you are using substreams then disabling hardware acceleration might actually improve cpu usage and might fix your issue? So give that a try.
holmesm

Post by holmesm »

IAmATeaf wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:14 am If you are using substreams then disabling hardware acceleration might actually improve cpu usage and might fix your issue? So give that a try.
My CPU usage is stable, it rarely goes above 15%. It's the memory usage that's the problem. I have tried disabling hardware acceleration - even after a reboot if I leave BI running, it will be using 40gb of memory after a day. It does not do that on v5.8.7.11.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Next step is to try disabling a cam at a time to see if it might be a cam causing the issue?

Also as far as hardware acceleration is concerned, did you also check and disable it in each cam, might need to do this if you enabled it on particular cams?
holmesm

Post by holmesm »

I have tested every scenario imaginable. Hardware acceleration off completely, disabled AI, disabled sub streams, disabled a camera at a time, disabled all but one and added one back at a time - all have the same result. The thing I haven't tried is something with the hard drive. I am moving files to see if that is anything.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

In each cameras settings/Video Tab... Set 'Hardware decode' to 'Default'.

Then, in BI settings Camera Tab, set 'Hardware accelerated decode'.
All cameras w use this settings.
Makes it much easier to change hardware decode for all cameras.
holmesm

Post by holmesm »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 pm In each cameras settings/Video Tab... Set 'Hardware decode' to 'Default'.

Then, in BI settings Camera Tab, set 'Hardware accelerated decode'.
All cameras w use this settings.
Makes it much easier to change hardware decode for all cameras.
Thanks, that is the way I have it set up. I was just testing to see if there were cameras that didn't like the setting.
It was a last resort to figuring out this memory leak.