Camera time vs real time

MotoJim

Camera time vs real time

Post by MotoJim »

The default time stamp on my videos is using my camera's time and date which is way off from the actual time. I've figured out how to add an additional time stamp using the real time. is there any way to either adjust the default time stamp to the real time of day or turn it off?
Sparks

Re: Camera time vs real time

Post by Sparks »

You might consider running an NTP (Network Time Protocol) server such as Meinberg on your BI machine. The server basically allows the cameras to log in and synchronize their time with the server. This server software is very low impact on the CPU and as far as I can tell it is open source.

Most IP cameras have the option to use an NTP server. In each of your cameras firmware pages you set the NTP servers address the same as the BI machine and usually port 123. The cameras will log into the NTP server on a schedule that is also normally configurable in the firmware.

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

If your cameras have web access they could also use a public NTP server, but the reason I'm suggesting that you run your own NTP server rather than a public server is for security. All of my cameras are sandboxed with their gateways set to their own IPs so they can't access the WAN but hey do have access to the LAN.

Hope that helps.