Upgraded to latest BI, crashes upon start up

spacerust

Upgraded to latest BI, crashes upon start up

Post by spacerust »

Hi,

I upgraded to the newest BI to get the AI DeepStack feature. I wanted to send notifications to Telegram etc. I upgraded, put in my serial key, now BI crashes upon starting up. It won't give me a chance to see anything! Help! :oops:
JohnRichardTLH

Re: Upgraded to latest BI, crashes upon start up

Post by JohnRichardTLH »

Hey @spacerust...

Same here!

I was able to downgrade to a prior version. It worked for a while, but then began doing the same thing (starting, shutting down).

Hoping BlueIris can chime in !
JohnRichardTLH

Post by JohnRichardTLH »

@spacerust...

Problems started for me with v5.8.7.10. Tried upgrading to v5.8.7.11 and nothing helped. Tried a Windows System Restore to prior version,. Worked for a bit, but then oddly started the start/stop thing again.

I ended up completely uninstalling Blue Iris then reinstalling.

HOWEVER, a simple "Uninstall", Reboot, then Install did NOT fix the problem! It retained the Settings in the Windows Registry and Hard Drive Folders.

Here are the steps I took. So far it appears to have resolved the issue

1) BEFORE proceeding, Open Windows Explorer, Browse to C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5: Confirm you have a recent Automatic "Backup" from when Blue Iris last updated.
2) Uninstall Blue Iris Software (via the Start Menu, Blue Iris Program Folder, Uninstall)
3) Reboot Computer
4) Open Windows Explorer
5) Browse to C:\BlueIris; Rename to BlueIris_OLD *note below
6) Browse to C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5; Rename to BlueIris_OLD *note below
7) Open Windows Registry (Click Start; Type Registry; Launch Registry Editor at top)
8) Browse to Key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software] *note below
9) Delete Key
10) Reboot
11) Reinstall New FULL Install from https://blueirissoftware.com/#download (version 5.8.7.11 as of this posting)
12) Add your Licensing Info back in.
13) Import your latest Blue Iris Settings from C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5_OLD *note below

Let us know if this resolved the issue for you!

*NOTE:
I tried installing OVER THE TOP of the Existing Windows Folders: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5 and C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5 to keep old video clips, etc.
However, it kept all of the settings, never asked for my license key, and had the Start/Stop/Start bug
PERHAPS if I had SKIPPED steps 5+6, then proceeded to 7-13 all would have been good.
But this was my third/fourth round in trying to resolve so I wanted to eliminate all possibilities.
JohnRichardTLH

Post by JohnRichardTLH »

Uhg... all of that and it started happening again after about 30 minutes of running fine.

VERY Odd!!!

So go slow on doing everything in my last post as it does not appear to have resolved it.

I'm going to try uninstalling/renaming AGAIN, but go back to an older version!
JohnRichardTLH

Post by JohnRichardTLH »

Ok...

Modified version of my prior steps

Did this after Step 12 (need the licensing key installed before you can apply an update)

1-10) from Prior post
Then replace 11 with:
11) Used an OLDER FULL Install that I had: v5.8.0.8 (10/21/2023)
12) Add your Licensing Info back in.
DO NOT import your prior settings yet
12a) Ran Update within Blue Iris: Chose "Install Latest Critical or Highly-Stable" Update v5.8.6.7 02/14/2024
13) Import my Blue Iris Settings THAT WERE CLOSEST TO 02/14/2024 from C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5_OLD

We'll see how long it lasts :)
JohnRichardTLH

Post by JohnRichardTLH »

Update: v5.8.6.7 did survive the night :)

For the record, this problem started for me when I installed v5.8.7.10. They quickly released v5.8.7.11, which I thought/hoped was the solution, but it was not.