Linux

General discussion about Blue Iris
BlueRIdge

Linux

Post by BlueRIdge »

My company has rid itself of Microsoft Windows, except for me and my BI box. I need to move.

Are there any plans for BI on Linux? With the decline of Windows, that seems logical.

Will BI run on Linux using Wine?

Any BI alternatives on Linux?
YrbkMgr

Re: Linux

Post by YrbkMgr »

With the decline of Windows
I can't say that opinion is widely agreed upon. Regardless, I have been around since v3 of BI and if I were a betting man, I would wager against any hope of a Linux version. I don't have insider information to back that up, but I don't see it happening. One thought occurred to me though... you can run BI on a windows virtual machine within Linux using virtual box.

See this thread: Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Nope, good luck finding an alternative.

I wish you well.
burner

Post by burner »

I must say that sadly that windows had worked just as badly than I fear. Compared to unifi video in vm what crashed about once in 1-2year BI got stuck or OS start hang once in 1-2month. It is really sad that this usefull server software had choosen go with windows.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

burner wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 pm I must say that sadly that windows had worked just as badly than I fear. Compared to unifi video in vm what crashed about once in 1-2year BI got stuck or OS start hang once in 1-2month. It is really sad that this usefull server software had choosen go with windows.
Oh well. Sorry. Good luck with whatever you choose.

p.s You likely have a bad install if your machine crashes that often. But you are unlikely to actually be interested in getting it fixed.
IAmATeaf

Linux

Post by IAmATeaf »

Decline in Windows? Can you link to the article as I’d like to have a read.

Why do people always seem to blame Windows for an app related problem?

My BI PC has been running for well over 3 years and the only times it has restarted is when I choose to install Windows updates.

Yes BI has crashed, quite a few times and currently the BI service is randomly restarting every 3-4 days but that isn’t a Windows issue.