BlueIris compatible doorbell camera recomendations

deadeye

BlueIris compatible doorbell camera recomendations

Post by deadeye »

I've got a LaView LV-PDB1630 that I'm using for my front doorbell and it keeps dropping its connection so I'm losing a LOT of footage. I have a first-generation Hikvision DS-HD1 on the back door and it works great, but my only complaint was that the video quality/resolution isn't that clear.

So I was excited when I heard that Hikvision came out with a newer version of that camera, but for some reason, it has worse video quality (2MP: https://www.hikvision.com/ca-en/product ... es/ds-hd2/). I have no idea why they would do that, but I'm not going to buy a camera with worse quality.

I was looking on Amazon and all of the best-rated cameras (Blink, Ring, etc.) will not work with BlueIris and there's no easy way to tell which models are compatible, so I thought I would come here for recommendations. Does anyone have a good experience with a decent quality doorbell camera (powered via wires, but wireless network) that will work with BlueIris?
TimG

Re: BlueIris compatible doorbell camera recomendations

Post by TimG »

I have the Reolink POE 5MP video doorbell, and it is rock solid with BI5. They do a wifi version too. POE preferred by myself, as wifi gives another failure point, but:
Reolink Video Doorbell PoE/WiFi can replace the existing mechanical doorbell of your house. It can be installed to the existing doorbell wiring that offers a compatible power supply. Reolink Video Doorbell works with a power supply of 24V DC or 12-24V AC, 50/60 Hz. And it is compatible with most power systems of mechanical doorbells (16V AC, 50/60 Hz, 30 VA).

Note: Reolink Video Doorbell will not work with the existing mechanical chime you have installed before. Please use the video doorbell with the paired Reolink Chime.
Over to you 8-)
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
deadeye

Post by deadeye »

I ran into this review while searching:
https://www.vueville.com/home-security/ ... endations/

It recommends the Amcrest AD410 which (they say) works with BlueIris! They also say it's dual band which is GREAT because I just bought a 5Ghz Wimesh system. But I'm suspicious of review websites because they usually are paid to promote brands. I tried to read the Amazon reviews but this doorbell camera isn't available on Amazon (Canada OR US). I've also noticed Arlo, Wyze, Eufy show up on quite a few reviews, and they're on Amazon, but I can't tell if they're BlueIris compatible. Reolink never came up on any of the review sites, but I'll have to give them a look though. I would LOVE POE, but there's no way I could get a cable to my doorbell's location.
TimG

Post by TimG »

If they don't do ONVIF or give a RTSP feed, then BI5 will struggle with them. Did you take a look at the wifi version of the Reolink camera ? The POE version is thought of as the Holy Grail of doorbell cameras, as it is relatively cheap, has POE and it works with BI5 :lol:

I have mine on an isolated LAN (second NIC) and I can use the camera ONVIF triggers with BI5 and Homeseer for switching. The only complaint I had was no WDR. Never mind, the DriveCam covers the area too.
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:04 pm The POE version is thought of as the Holy Grail of doorbell cameras, as it is relatively cheap, has POE and it works with BI5 :lol:
Or you could get the Foscam doorbell- full POE, ONVIF, RTSP, wide angle lens, WDR, etc etc for about $110. I've had one running for almost a year now and I like it a lot. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093WBF4MD/
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
deadeye

Post by deadeye »

TimG wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:04 pm If they don't do ONVIF or give a RTSP feed, then BI5 will struggle with them. Did you take a look at the wifi version of the Reolink camera ? The POE version is thought of as the Holy Grail of doorbell cameras, as it is relatively cheap, has POE and it works with BI5 :lol:

I have mine on an isolated LAN (second NIC) and I can use the camera ONVIF triggers with BI5 and Homeseer for switching. The only complaint I had was no WDR. Never mind, the DriveCam covers the area too.
Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the Foxcam, but I'll see if I can run a new wire to the doorbell so I can use POE and just ditch the wireless (too unreliable).
rawbar

Post by rawbar »

Reviving this as it looks like the foscam isn't made any longer and is OOS on Amazon. Is there a newer recommended doorbell? My electrician is here to run ethernet cables later this week and I was going to ask him to run one to the doorbell. I currently have zero doorbell wires and currenly have a $15 home depot battery powered doorbell with wireless chime.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Go for the ethernet cable, and then you can decide what to put on it. There are many stories on the www from people finding the wifi doorbell cameras have weak wifi, so POE and ethernet is the cure for that. Reolink still going strong here, and it outputs ONVIF commands (Doorbell pressed/ Person very close/ Motion) that can be used by my home automation system.
Forum Moderator.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Get the Reolink and don't look back.

Currently $99 on Amazon with a $25 coupon. Buy two.
rawbar

Post by rawbar »

I saw the responses a little too late I guess. I ended up spending a small fortune on a Ubiquiti G4 Pro PoE (this is my first UI cam, but I am fully invested in UIs network gear) and have both cameras working with BI. Also integrated it into Hubitat and am playing around with triggers.