Samba server housekeeping problems?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Falt

Samba server housekeeping problems?

Post by Falt »

Can a samba fileserver cause problems even with a very fast network?

I find that I sometimes have problems when BlueIris is doing housekeeping when reaching the limit I set for the storage. Blueiris say that files are missing when trying o view them. If I remove files manually before the disk is full I don't have any problems.

I run BlueIris in a Windows 10 virtual machine on my Unraid server as I want to avoid running to many servers. As it's running on the same computer as the file server the networking is very fast. The network speed seem to be 10Gbps internally.

As the 3.5" drives in the server sound quite annoying when writing the periodic Blueiris data I use a dedicated 1 TB 2.5" drive for the Blueiris share. It's a slower drive but it looks like the average transfer rate since boot is only 650kB per second and the drive seem to sustain a write speed of 100MB per second when I test it.
vernakuhlman

Re: Samba server housekeeping problems?

Post by vernakuhlman »

Even with a lightning-fast 10Gbps connection, a Samba file server shouldn't be the lone culprit when it comes to network performance. Nevertheless, there are a handful of details regarding your particular configuration that could be causing the issues you've mentioned.