Extended Suppot Question

General discussion about Blue Iris
bnaylor3

Extended Suppot Question

Post by bnaylor3 »

I'm an extended support subscriber since 2015. For reasons I'll explain if anyone cares to hear them, I'd like to end my extended support subscription, and continue to use the software in its current configuration. If I don't want updates, upgrades, or technical support, will my software continue to function if I don't renew? I have searched the forums but am unclear on the answer. Thank you.
TimG

Re: Extended Suppot Question

Post by TimG »

Hi, you asked:
If I don't want updates, upgrades, or technical support, will my software continue to function if I don't renew?
Yes it will. Many people use Blue Iris like that for years. If you ever want a new version for a newly added function, then you would purchase a Support plan at that time and get another 12 months of updates.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

To make life easier, save off the installer/updater from the day your support expires.

You can only use the version that was last available when you were in support.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

You can roll back to previous versions up until (and including) the last one available on your support expiration date.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Pogo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:16 am You can roll back to previous versions up until (and including) the last one available on your support expiration date.
How do you "roll back' versions?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Google it.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I think the way to do it is to acquire an installer from the time of interest and execute that acquired installer.

Kind of like I mentioned just prior to your comment. Was my method incorrect?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

HeneryH wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:37 pm You can only use the version that was last available when you were in support.
One can easily interpret the above to mean the last available version while still in support which would not be accurate information. I was offering clarification if not actual correction. Apologies if I misunderstood.

The methods for reverting to previous versions are well documented and the various updates are readily available.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/tools/blueirisupdates/
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Pogo wrote:You can roll back to previous versions up until (and including) the last one available on your support expiration date.
Actually, just to clarify, once your support expires most of the options on the check for updates page are greyed out so there’s not much that you can actually do.

This is why we get people asking for particular versions of BI.

It would be better if the ability to download a particular version is enabled as at least the person could then download the required update themselves.

Another things worth bearing in mind for iOS app users is that periodically the certs expire and the only way to get the new/updated certs is to update to the latest version.

So a few things that could do with tidying up before you can truly do away with extended support.

Best advice is as already suggested make sure you download the last version or at least grab a copy of the last stable version before you let your support lapse.
tardigrade

Post by tardigrade »

Just an observation but when my service plan lapsed, my ID/PW for this Q&A forum was no longer active. Once i re-subscribed everything started working again.