Blue Iris - Re-install on Fresh Install of Windows

General discussion about Blue Iris
Sardon

Blue Iris - Re-install on Fresh Install of Windows

Post by Sardon »

Hello,

I'm seeking assistance with Blue Iris, my PC is performing poorly which I suspect has malware. I'm considering reinstalling Windows but am hesitant because of concerns about disrupting Blue Iris, a program I rely on. My PC's performance is deteriorating, so I feel reinstalling Windows is necessary.

Could someone guide me on the best approach? I understand I need to deactivate the license, export both the general and individual camera settings to registry files. My main worry is about maintaining my specific version of Blue Iris v5.x.x. I recently ended my extended subscription, which I had for over a number of years, due to financial constraints.

I'm hoping for advice on how to reinstall Blue Iris, ensuring it's the same version and that my camera settings, particularly motion detection, remain intact. My goal is to avoid the hassle of reconfiguring everything. The thought of encountering a problem troubles me.

Any tips for a smooth transition while keeping my current Blue Iris version would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
SN
IAmATeaf

Re: Blue Iris - Re-install on Fresh Install of Windows

Post by IAmATeaf »

If you want to do a complete reinstall grab the latest copy of Windows from Microsoft’s Media Creation Tools website.

In BI you can export your settings, also don’t forgot to deactivate BI on the PC before trashing it.

If you had the option to download copies of updates ticked then within the BI folder, within the Updates folder these will be the update exes, just make sure you have a copy of the update you need that was released before your support expired.

Why does your BI Pc have malware, is it not a dedicated PC or do you use it for other purposes. If you use it for other things and won’t you end up in this same situation?
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

Hello IAmATeaf,

Thank you for your guidance. I'm currently exploring the idea of a complete Windows reinstall using the Media Creation Tools from Microsoft, as you suggested.

Regarding Blue Iris, I'll ensure to export the settings and deactivate it before proceeding. I'll also make sure to secure a copy of the necessary update executable, especially one released before my support ended. I've checked and there are several in the folder. I presume the one named blueiris.exe is the current version I'm using.

As for the malware concerns, the PC in question, powered by an i9-10850k CPU and an ASUS ROG Maximus XII, has been underperforming lately. It's a multipurpose machine used for work, gaming, and other tasks. Blue Iris has been running smoothly, hardly affecting CPU usage or affecting anything else, which stays around 2-5%.

The slowdown isn't definitively due to malware, but the lag in performing simple tasks, like opening a tab in Brave (which takes 5 seconds), suggests something is amiss. The delays have become quite bothersome. I end up waiting on the computer not the other way around.

I'm assembling a new computer, which I plan to use for general purposes, allowing the current PC to be dedicated solely to Blue Iris. This should alleviate any performance issues. Although Blue Iris is functioning well, there's a nagging feeling that the PC might be compromised. A clean reinstall might be overkill, but it seems like the best course to ensure everything is secure and running optimally.

It feels somewhat wasteful to repurpose a high-performance computer like this, but it seems necessary under the circumstances.

Best regards,
SN
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

IPCamTalk has an archive of all the installers. Grab the one just prior to your support expiration date.

You can install the latest installer then just run the updater from the IPCamTalk site that will downgrade you to the proper version.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Blueiris.exe is the stub executable that talks to the BI service so not an update. Within that folder check to see if you have an updates folder. I think there is a specific tick box to enable the saving of update files so if you don’t have that ticked then you might not have the files saved.
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

IAmATeaf wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:58 pm Blueiris.exe is the stub executable that talks to the BI service so not an update. Within that folder check to see if you have an updates folder. I think there is a specific tick box to enable the saving of update files so if you don’t have that ticked then you might not have the files saved.

I've just doubled checked there is no update. But a series of .exe files .. shame I don't know how to attach an image or i'd share a snippet
TimG

Post by TimG »

To add an image, look below the window while you are writing. Click on "Attachments". Click on "Add files", and find the image you want (Note max file size). Now click where in the message you want the image, and click "Place inline" to add it. My updates folder looks like this (regularly culled):

Screenshot 2023-12-27 204543.png
Screenshot 2023-12-27 204543.png (111.5 KiB) Viewed 20166 times
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

I've just sent attached a screenshot of my Blue Iris folder from c:\program files\blue iris. You'll notice there is no update folder as such, yet there are several .exe files created, each with different version numbers in their names. I presume one simply replaces the blueiris.exe with one of those version and it'll become that version. However, bit strange I'm missing an update folder if it's supposed to have one.

Is it best in my case to be safe to obtain the install files from IPCamTalk, as you suggested above?

I'm all set to reinstall Windows, I've backed up final files from my profile and I'm set, but it's crucial for me to ensure the CCTV system continues functioning as it currently does. So, to summarize, I should export all settings, including each camera configurations, and deactivate the software before proceeding, right?

I'm a bit puzzled about the installation process since my updates seem unusual.

Thanks again for the help, appreciated.
Attachments
folder.jpg
folder.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 20146 times
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

Also probably a stupid question but the license key , the majority is hashed out ? Is there a way I can reveal it or obtain it via a different means, I seem to have misplaced my original key.. I'll have to look for the original invoice .. Ahh I also think that Blue Iris support must have asked for it before when submitting support requests via email, so I'll check my sent items.. I presume without the full key I won't be able to active the product , once I've deactivated it and re-installed windows fresh ?
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

So where do I download blue iris from exactly ? I've checked out IPCamtalk and I found the version I'm using as an .exe which is approx 45mb. On the blue iris main site you cannot download and it states that the download for Blue Iris v5 is 100mb but you have to pay fill in payment details in order to download , so that can't be right.