Camera: yellow triangle with exclamation mark

war4peace

Camera: yellow triangle with exclamation mark

Post by war4peace »

Hello all,

This has been bugging me for a while. I have read documentation, but couldn't find a solution for this.
There is one camera which exhibits this, it's a raspberry pi camera streaming through MotionEye, BI reads it, motion is highlighted, data is sent over to CPAI, objects are identified, log file shows entries for that camera, but recording doesn't work. Nothing is recorded and/or saved.
The camera itself is displayed with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, but there is no Status log entry with a warning.

Log excerpt:

Code: Select all

3 	12/20/2023 6:46:09.838 PM	Garage              	MOTION_A
0 	12/20/2023 6:46:10.577 PM	Garage              	AI: [ipcam-general] person:74% [909,281 1594,1060] 556ms
0 	12/20/2023 6:46:10.577 PM	Garage              	AI: person:74%
Furthermore, in the Alerts list in BI, on the left-side, I can see thumbnails of those alerts, but when I double-click them, I receive an error "Sorry, there is no file to open", and then the thumbnails disappear. The timeline sometimes contains zero-length entries (a single-pixel line), but most of the time it's empty for that camera.

BI documentation says:
The Log page in Status contains one or more warning messages or one or more
cameras has an error condition or warning, such as low frame rate (less than 15% of
the observed actual max frame rate), low key frame rate (less than 0.20 if using direct-
to-disk recording, or less than 0.40 if using limit decoding) or there’s a push webcasting
error. Find the camera/s with this symbol displayed in their window header and
then visit the General page in camera settings to further investigate the cause for the
warning.
But then, when I go into Camera settings, there is no specific information of what is causing the warning. See screenshot below.

I would try troubleshooting it, but without enough information, I am not sure where to even start. I need to understand specifically what is wrong with it first :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by war4peace on Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
war4peace

Re: Camera: yellow triange with exclamation mark

Post by war4peace »

Some more information:

Immediately after restarting BI (Service + UI), that camera no longer shows an exclamation mark, but motion is no longer triggered, at all. If I trigger manually via context menu, it looks like it is recording, thumbnail shows in the list for a fraction of a second, then disappears, timeline shows a single bar and, amazingly, stream is in fact being recorded.

So, there are two cases:
1. Alert icon is visible, triggers work, AI processes data, but recordings are not saved;
2. (after a restart) No alert icon for the camera No triggers work, AI doesn't process data, but recordings are saved when camera is triggered manually.

I am utterly confused.
TimG

Re: Camera: yellow triangle with exclamation mark

Post by TimG »

The only time I have seen anything like this was with a SD camera feed from a PCI analogue card. I fixed that by using "re-encode with settings" to force it to be a H264 recording. Worth a try as a test to see if it sorts it, but it may be too much for a 2.1MP feed.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
war4peace

Post by war4peace »

TimG wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:21 pm The only time I have seen anything like this was with a SD camera feed from a PCI analogue card. I fixed that by using "re-encode with settings" to force it to be a H264 recording. Worth a try as a test to see if it sorts it, but it may be too much for a 2.1MP feed.
It's already configured like that...

IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Why do you re-encode? I’ve never had to do that for any of my cams?
TimG

Post by TimG »

OP: Can you show what is in the Configure window ?

In my case, the camera could be viewed by BI5, but it wouldn't record it. I think this was suggested by Support at the time.
Forum Moderator.
war4peace

Post by war4peace »

TimG wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:13 am OP: Can you show what is in the Configure window ?

In my case, the camera could be viewed by BI5, but it wouldn't record it. I think this was suggested by Support at the time.
Sure thing, here it is:

IAmATeaf wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:10 am Why do you re-encode? I’ve never had to do that for any of my cams?
I tried with re-encode and without re-encode, no change in behavior.
It's a MJPEG stream coming off a Raspberry Pi with MotionEye.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Can you show the config window for the re-encode ?
Forum Moderator.
war4peace

Post by war4peace »

TimG wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm Can you show the config window for the re-encode ?
Of course.

TimG

Post by TimG »

I'm afraid it's permutations from here unless you want to contact Support. I would start with changing HVA to something else - what do have there ?
Forum Moderator.