BI software update notification

mikeb

BI software update notification

Post by mikeb »

Does anyone know if there is a way to get BI software update notifications in the web UI3 interface? I run BI as a service on a headless windows 10 pc that is used only for this and use the web UI3 interface on a different pc to monitor the cameras. Right know the only way that I know how to check for software updates is to remote admin to the BI pc and open the UI. Is there another way to know that software updates are available?

Thanks, mike
BruceH

Re: BI software update notification

Post by BruceH »

Could you just open this web page periodically and look???
https://blueirissoftware.com/?page_id=344
Not exactly a notification but an easy way to check from any other system. You would of course need to know what your current version is; which you can get from the "About" on the UI3 menu!
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the reply Bruce

Now that I give it more thought remoting to my BlueIris server and opening the ui is probably the best way since I would need to be there to accept the update anyway. I was just thinking that if there was some other kind of notification I wouldn't need to remote to it as often because I don't use that pc for anything else. It is dedicated solely for the BlueIris service and the performance is fantastic even using cpai on 8 cameras. There has been pretty frequent updates lately (not complaining) so I have been remoting to it almost daily.
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Just a thought, I used to keep my system right up to date but got into problems at least once due to a bug in one of the updates, I now only do manual updates less frequently after I see that a particular release is not problematic. One of my BI systems is only accessible via a VPN and is a 6 hr drive from my home. So I am considerably more cautious with doing update on it!
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I can understand you being cautious with updates. My BI system is right next to my general use pc. I don't want to dedicate a monitor for it so I use windows remote desktop to access the BU UI for camera settings and updates, and use the web UI3 on my general use computer to monitor the cameras. Being on the same network the performance is very good. I have had some occasions where I did an update and there was another update as soon as the UI started back up so I know that the previous update must have had a bug. My BI system is for my home security so I don't have to worry about breaking something as much as if it were for a company or someone else. Otherwise, I would also be more cautious with updates. But I think I will start being a little more cautious anyways. Thanks for the advice.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

You can just access that link posted above to see what might be new, this is what I do these days but be warned what is shown on the update page may not be what you actually end up getting. So for example this morning it's showing the update 5.8.1.4 but what you actually get down is 5.8.1.3, pretty frustrating as you then end up wasting time but eventually the site does update and the download catches up.

Previously I subscribed to a thread over on IPCT which had a bot that would post when an update was available but since the big BI meltdown that no longer works.