Issue with Blue Iris alerts and thumbnails when using VPN instead of Port Forwarding

General discussion about Blue Iris
Sardon

Issue with Blue Iris alerts and thumbnails when using VPN instead of Port Forwarding

Post by Sardon »

Hello Blue Iris Community,

I'm encountering a perplexing issue with my Blue Iris setup and would greatly appreciate any advice or solutions you might have.

Issue Description:
When my system is set up to port forward on the router, everything works as expected. Specifically, when motion is detected, an alert along with a thumbnail of the motion is sent to my mobile phone. However, the problem arises when I disable port forwarding.

Detailed Scenario:

1. With port forwarding enabled on the router, motion detection alerts come with thumbnails to my phone.

2. To enhance security and avoid web port scans, I decided to disable port forwarding and access my cameras via a VPN tunnel into my LAN.

3. After this change, although the motion alerts are still sent to my phone, they arrive without the thumbnails.

Question:
Is there a way to configure Blue Iris so that it still sends thumbnails with port forwarding disabled with alerts when accessed via a VPN ? I'm really stumped as to what is causing this issue.

I would be immensely grateful for any insights, suggestions, or guidance on this matter. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? How did you resolve it?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Best regards,
SN
IAmATeaf

Re: Issue with Blue Iris alerts and thumbnails when using VPN instead of Port Forwarding

Post by IAmATeaf »

You are not alone, I use Tailscale and get exactly the same. So if I’m at home the alert comes through with the thumbnail, if I’m away like you I get the alert but no thumbnail.

I spent sometime looking into this but never really found a solution.