Support passkeys/webauthn

orlando.jamie

Support passkeys/webauthn

Post by orlando.jamie »

Passkeys and webauthn seem to be hitting significant milestones. It would be great if blue iris could support login with passkeys https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... _passkeys/.
HeneryH

Re: Support passkeys/webauthn

Post by HeneryH »

Would be nice. Maybe after they get to the point where they can let uses choose their own passwords LoL. I hate having to tell my clients what their password is. And, you'd think everyone would hate that. But, no, nobody cares.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Can we at least make BI not require any password (complexly open) so I can use Authelia on my proxy?
orlando.jamie

Post by orlando.jamie »

HeneryH wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:13 pm Would be nice. Maybe after they get to the point where they can let uses choose their own passwords LoL. I hate having to tell my clients what their password is. And, you'd think everyone would hate that. But, no, nobody cares.
I care when the authentication is done over the public internet, lol. Passkeys feel like they finally have real momentum and support in the ecosystem, with ios17 open api support being the inflection point. It would be a great UX update if it was possible to email web users a magic registration link (and/or a one time use registration password) that allowed them to create a user and register for authentication using their phone or laptop passkey. The main tricks are to 1. allow users to register multiple passkeys with the ability to give each one a label/name so you can quickly identify and revoke any compromised keys and 2. Prompt the user to enroll a passkey into their current devices keychain whenever a remote passkey (ie. Scanning a qr code from your laptop to use your phones passkey) is used to login. That work would be infinitely more valuable than fixing password workflows and implementing totp MFA.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

[sarcasm] I was reliably told here that nobody wants or needs that type of stuff. As the admin, just create users, set the password and then email the user their password. If the user wants a new pw, the user can type out the new password request and email it to the admin for entry into the system.[/sarcasm]