Pushing alerts to multiple users

General discussion about Blue Iris
jdblueiris

Pushing alerts to multiple users

Post by jdblueiris »

I am running BI5 W11 16GB ram, 24 cameras (Mostly Amcrest IP5M-T119E's). I am working on configuring pretty basic triggers/alerts. I have two mobile devices connected and receiving alerts. One mobile device is an Iphone ( Me Systems admin) the other is Android (just a system user). I have two challenges and one question that I am trying to resolve.

First challenge: Enabling push notifications on the Android
The first issue is that Ini order for the mobile device to receive alerts the user must go on to the mobile device BI app and turn on push notifications. When we first tried setting this up on the Android phone the "allow push notifications was disabled". I played around in the BI user settings and gave the android user Admin privileges (see screen shot). As soon as I did this the "push notifications" setting enabled and they could turn on push notifications. Likewise if I remove admin from their profile "Push notifications" on their mobile device disabled.

Second challenge: When I am testing alerts I notice that I get a message indicating that the alerts are being sent to both the Android and Iphone. I understand that the Android can simply disable the push notification for those cameras I am testing but that is kind of a pain to coordinate while I am testing alert functionality. Also Moving forward I would prefer to limit cameras that the android can even get alerts for. I do not mind if they have access to the cameras but Id prefer they not even get alerts on some cameras. Is there a command or a way to only send the alert to a particular mobile device?

Push notification question:
It appears that Push notifications are specific to BI. In terms of end to end Alert trigger, alert sent, alert received, is this the fastest way to send an alert to a mobile device? I am experiencing some delays from the time that the alert is triggered to the time I receive it.
Thank you in advance for your comments.

Attachments
On Alert setting
On Alert setting
IMG_7707 (1).jpg (37.16 KiB) Viewed 800 times
User Profile admin setting
User Profile admin setting
IMG_7708 (1).jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Pogo

Re: Pushing alerts to multiple users

Post by Pogo »

jdblueiris wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:13 pm 24 cameras. I have two mobile devices connected and receiving alerts.

When I am testing alerts I notice that I get a message indicating that the alerts are being sent to both the Android and Iphone. Is there a command or a way to only send the alert to a particular mobile device?

Push notification question:
It appears that Push notifications are specific to BI. In terms of end to end Alert trigger, alert sent, alert received, is this the fastest way to send an alert to a mobile device? I am experiencing some delays from the time that the alert is triggered to the time I receive it.
Thank you in advance for your comments.
First, delays are inevitable between the time an event triggers an alert and when a device receives it. Some methods are faster (and more reliable) than others. For my money, SMS is the most efficient and reliable, though I have admittedly not ventured any further for my particular purposes.

The key player in the SMS solution is the data carrier service provider followed closely by the email provider and the quality of the network on which BI resides and connects to the internet. The same holds true for the BI app for the most part, just by means of a different end-to-end network protocol requiring a different type of overhead for its comparative efficiency factor in communicating with its receiving devices. At least you have one of the two working!

To segregate or consolidate alerts between/among multiple devices using SMS is simply a matter of determining the various recipients by their cell number and what they are to receive by way of the Alerts configuration tools and features in BI itself via cellular provider and email. You're already halfway there by having alerts set up and working for two receiving devices, albeit via app vs. SMS. Determining which alerts go where and when is simply a matter of groups, profiles, schedules, etc., etc., with SMS..., which is actually MMS when images are involved and the usual method by most.

Not knowing your latency condition for comparison, I consider mine quite acceptable in both directions -- outgoing from my home network wi-fi through my Internet provider to my carrier (Verizon) and back to my phone via SMS (MMS) with a high quality .jpg image attached -- nearly instantaneous when hitting the trigger zone backing out my driveway. Keep in mind this is locally generated via my home wi-fi network before my phone has switched over to cellular.

The other way around with my phone still on cellular prior to grabbing the home wi-fi upon returning and pulling in the driveway and immediately hitting the trigger zone, I receive the alert within a few seconds -- usually before getting to the garage which is around 80 feet. This level of performance is perfectly acceptable for my situation and I was thrilled when I finally got it dialed in.

The main key is an email account designated exclusively for the purpose. Gmail is recommended for their flexibility and general tolerance for larger amounts of traffic through their servers -- and their exceptional speed. Your second major consideration is your data service carrier. Most seem to be tolerant of this type of traffic without throwing up flags for what can look like abuse or a mail relay, though I've also heard stories to the contrary. The best practice there is keep the experimenting and testing to a minimum with a single camera until getting a feel for the results of your configuration(s).

Another important consideration when using any alerting method is to not have multiple cameras going nuts triggering alerts all over the place just because an Amazon truck pulls in. You have 25 cameras sending multiple alerts. I have 22 cameras with one set up for SMS alerts -- which generally tells me whether or not I should access the rest in live view via an Amcrest app which also includes my critical BI cameras. Best of both methods without excessive reliance on actual alerts or having to manage multiple alert sources (and false positives) when maybe half as many would ultimately be twice as effective anyway. Each situation is different, of course. But keeping it simple and not overthinking everything can oftentimes provide surprising results in effectiveness and efficiency before a more complicated method is even up and running at all.

This system works well for me. I intend to set up alerts from two additional cameras later this fall after the leaves are down. For now though, the single camera does exactly what I want it to do with almost zero false alerts and no AI to mess with anywhere in the mix. Applying the same methods indoors would be just as simple and effective.

Sorry for going just a hair beyond 'comments'. LOL

Just food for thought to possibly consider additional options and broaden the perspective.

Good luck and keep us posted.