Can't get timestamps to show in export

cameraoperatorr

Can't get timestamps to show in export

Post by cameraoperatorr »

I have enabled all of the check boxes (re-encode, add text, time-lapse) but no combination of these ends up showing the timestamp on the exported video.
IAmATeaf

Re: Can't get timestamps to show in export

Post by IAmATeaf »

No idea about your current issue but are your cams not capable of overlaying the date/time? This is what I do for all my cams and it goes back to a time where adding an overlay for the date/time in BI wasn’t efficient and would load your CPU.
broachoski

Post by broachoski »

Are you recording "Direct to disc"?
cameraoperatorr

broachoski wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:11 am Are you recording "Direct to disc"?
Under Format? Does that need to be enabled before recording? When I enable it it automatically switches back to Re-encode.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Are you currently running in eval mode?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

'Direct-to-Disc' if referring to the Recording mode set in 'Record/Video file format and compression'. For me, when I add a camera, it always defaults to ;Re-encode...', so I need to change it one-time when adding a new camera.

When you say 'Timestamps', are you referring to Overlays (which may include the date/time)?

When exporting and you want to include Overlays, two options must be checked...
- Check 'Re-encode Video'.
- Check 'Add text/graphic overlays...'
cameraoperatorr

MikeBwca wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:48 am 'Direct-to-Disc' if referring to the Recording mode set in 'Record/Video file format and compression'. For me, when I add a camera, it always defaults to ;Re-encode...', so I need to change it one-time when adding a new camera.

When you say 'Timestamps', are you referring to Overlays (which may include the date/time)?

When exporting and you want to include Overlays, two options must be checked...
- Check 'Re-encode Video'.
- Check 'Add text/graphic overlays...'
Yes i have checked re-encode and add text, it doesn't work. I did not have Direct-to-Disc. When I try changing it to that it automatically changes back so I don't even know how to use it. Do I need it to export with time overlay? I just want to export the clip so the time is burned into the video. And no, this is not an eval copy, it is licensed.
TimG

Post by TimG »

The only time direct to disk didn't work for me in BI5 was when I was using an old analogue camera on a PCI card. That had to be encoded as H264 by BI5, but being a SD feed it didn't take much in resources.

So what type of camera is this ? It may either be a weird feed, or a corrupted software.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
broachoski

Post by broachoski »

Here are my settings from a cameras RECORD - Video format and compression
and a photo of the settings when I select Convert/export
The photos are not in correct order.
Do not select re-encode on the format page, only on the convert/export page
Attachments
convertexport.JPG
convertexport.JPG (132.92 KiB) Viewed 27721 times
d2d.JPG
d2d.JPG (166.92 KiB) Viewed 27721 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I've had the same issue in the past but it wasn't mission critical and I never gave it much thought.

They way I'm reading it, it looks like the overlays already need to exist on the D-to-D video in order to be included (added?) during the re-encoding for export. How they are initially applied would most likely be a BI function per camera somehow as I see no other way a streamed overlay direct from a camera could be arbitrarily either scrubbed/stripped away or alternatively included during re-encoding for export.