CPAI version update schedule?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Rookie23

CPAI version update schedule?

Post by Rookie23 »

Hi, for those using CPAI, just wondering how you manage updating/aligning your BI server CPAI versions.
I am currently on CPAI v2.1.6-beta which is stable and has been running for the last 5 months or so, the current CPAI version is v2.1.11-beta, it looks like they may be on a monthly release cycle.

At this point I see no reason to change but I assume a BI update or some other update will cause an issue at some point down the track.
What is the considered best practice for how to manage BI and CPAI versions to keep both systems up and stable.
I don't have the luxury of have a test system to try updates before installing in a live server.

Is the an upgrade procedure for CPAI that would create an straight forward back out if ever needed to get BI back up again quickly on the previous CPAI version?
Thanks for any assistance.
TimG

Re: CPAI version update schedule?

Post by TimG »

Hi CPAI is Beta software, so you use it at your own risk. Every time they make a change, it can affect the stability of BI5.

At this time, you either install the latest for the perceived gains, or stay with what works for you.

I back-up everything, so I can try the latest, and roll back if I find trouble.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
louyo

Post by louyo »

I run it in a docker image, easy to change versions if need be. I also run it in another system on the LAN, not in BI.
Rookie23

Post by Rookie23 »

Thanks, is there a procedure around somewhere that is a step by step process to follow for upgrading any BI components?
I haven't been able to find anything.
  • Preparation and Backup pre upgrade
  • Do Upgrade
  • Testing checklist post upgrade
  • Back out steps post upgrade to roll back if testing unsuccessful
TimG

Post by TimG »

No, and there is no regression test report to fill in either. All we see is the update that has already passed whatever testing Ken has decided to do. BI is a small company, and errors do get through.

Upgrade for me is:
1. Back up pc.
2. Tick to save update files in BI5 during installation of new file.
3. Ensure auto updates for BI5 is OFF as you may need time to revert it.
4. Do manual update and test basic functions.
5. Inform Ken and forum if defects are noted.
6. Roll back can be done using the previous install file via the installation menu, or by just double clicking it in the folder. If Fubar, then I can use the pc backup (Not happened yet).

This has caught errors quickly, and at times I have sent in Excel pivot tables created from the text Log file to prove a detrimental change has occured. Normally it just works. I have only had to roll BI back once in quite a few years.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.