Recording clips to NAS

finity

Recording clips to NAS

Post by finity »

Hi all. New here but I've been using BI for years.

I just recently bought a NAS (Terra Master Model F2-210) for the purpose of storing my clips in a hidden location away from my main PC (which of course would be a prime target of a thief).

The problem is that in Blue Iris I don't have the NAS location as an available path for the clips in the "storage" tab.

The NAS is visible on my PC that runs BI and I can write to and read from the drive on the PC.

And I have another network device (a Raspberry Pi running Open Media Vault) that shows up as an option to send files. I'd rather not send them there since the Pi basically sits right beside my PC so it's just as much of a potential target as the PC.

I guess my question is why wouldn't the NAS show up in BI as a storage path? and is there something I can check or any settings I need to change in BI to get it to show up?

Thanks in advance for any help.
IAmATeaf

Re: Recording clips to NAS

Post by IAmATeaf »

You need to either map a drive to the NAS and mount the NAS shared drive as a drive letter or you can use the UNC notation to access the drive so for example \\<ip address>\<sharename> When mapping a drive you’ll also need to use the UNC notation.

So my NAS on my network is called TSMedia for example and I access it using \\TSMedia\Media but on my network TSMedia is a known device and resolves to its IP address.

In both cases the account that you are using to either run BI or run BI as a service must have permissions to read, write and delete files on the NAS share. How you do could be as easy as creating a user account in the NAS with the same userid and password or the NAS might support anonymous access or may support some other access/permissions model.
finity

Post by finity »

I already have a mapped drive to the NAS on the PC running BI. I can read/write to/from the NAS on the PC running BI.

As far as I can see the NAS doesn't allow for anonymous logins (TerraMaster NAS) so I just created a new user on the NAS using the same credentials as the login for the PC running BI. Which also has the same credentials as the user logged in to BI.

I still can't see it as an option for the location of the "new" folder in BI.

Again thank you for the help
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

If you have a drive to the NAS mapped have you tried just typing in the path to the NAS share?
finity

Post by finity »

well, no I didn't.

But I just did (copied the path from Windows File Explorer into the BI "new" path) and after restarting all the cameras in BI it actually seems to have worked!

I never even thought about just putting it in manually. :)

I guess I can cancel my support request ticket now.

Thanks!