Constant Overallocated Storage

General discussion about Blue Iris
stewart

Constant Overallocated Storage

Post by stewart »

I've been fighting a problem for months/years at this point. I've asked support about this several times and each time I'm told to just update the software and rebuild the DB. Everything is just a temporary fix and then it comes back. I could some solid support on this one.

I have a unit that is constantly running out of space/over quote. I have 2 storage areas. The first is a local 3TB HDD where all new recordings go. The second is a NAS with 12TB of storage. After the limit is met for new recordings, clips should me moved to the storage folder on the NAS. Once it hits its limit, it should delete recordings.

New recordings go to the D:. The disk is3TB (formatted to 2.72TB). Limit size is 1024GB and Clip Age is set to 2 Days. Move to folder is set to Stored.
Stored recordings go to the NAS. It has a limit size of 9000 GB. No Clip Age Set. Delete is selected. Right now I see that D: is having issues. The top bar shows 90%Blue/10%Green with +463.7G at the end. The second bar is 33%blue/66%red as if I'm out of storage. Below that it shows 2.76 / 0.97T. I've deleted and rebuilt the DB. C:\clips.dat went from 12.7GB to .25GB if that means anything. Usually doing a delete/repair on the DB fixes this but not this time.

This keeps happening every few weeks / couple of months and the unit stops recording. Any idea what to do to fix this?
Attachments
BIDBSize.JPG
BIDBSize.JPG (98.79 KiB) Viewed 82426 times
stewart

Re: Constant Overallocated Storage

Post by stewart »

In addition, the clips area shows I'm over quota.
Jay_d

Post by Jay_d »

DB keeps on corrupting. Only way to fix it is to manually run repair/regenerate or delete/regenerate. I sent a support email for a possibility to run repair or delete automatically as an option since compact/repair does nothing to fix.
TimG

Post by TimG »

The bit I haven't seen before is the top line graph going over the pie chart. It must mean something.

If it IS the db corrupting:

1. Does the graph look OK after db regen ?
2. Can you change the drive the db is on ?

Previously we have seen problems due to the intermitant availability of a NAS, but I don't think it could cause this.

Do you have the Log file set to write to a text file ? I have mine going to desktop as it only writes one a month. It is much better to read and search, as the normal Log amalgamates errors to count them so can hide things.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Is BI successfully deleting old clips from the NAS?

As already mentioned, anything in the logs re either moving or deleting clips?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Post screenshots of your storage configuration(s).
stewart

Post by stewart »

I've attached the drive configuration. This was posted after the db was fixed. Normally it clears up. This time it didn't.

The DB is located at the usual c:\Blueiris\db. The C: is an SSD. I figured this was a good solution but maybe it being on an SSD is an issue? I'm moving it to D:\BIDB which is a platter drive but given the history of BI on this machine it's just going to fill up and run out of space. Rotating doesn't seem to work properly. I just found one camera that never rotated as its clips aren't in the "Stored" area. I didn't even know that was an option.
Attachments
DriveConfig.JPG
DriveConfig.JPG (21.5 KiB) Viewed 82344 times
stewart

Post by stewart »

Sorry for the delay, Idalia wanted to come for a visit. Luckily we were spared hurricane force winds but we have clients and family that didn't fare as well. It's keeping us busy for the time being. I'll try to keep up with this thread.

In addition, we were just notified that BI lost the config of 2 cameras and it appears that at least 1 camera config was placed onto another camera. Could DB corruption cause that?
Attachments
StorageConfig.JPG
StorageConfig.JPG (97.74 KiB) Viewed 82344 times
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

The BI DB is normally best kept on a fast drive, so the SSD is perfect.

You have a drive mapped to the share so maybe try using Z:\Public…. Instead of the UNC? Can’t see what diff it would make in the real world but you never know.
stewart

Post by stewart »

I've moved the DB to the 3TB and performed another repair. I also found one camera had 5 months of videos still in the New folder and never rotated over. I've moved that video footage out. It's fine now but I don't want to keep doing this every few weeks.
Attachments
BIDBSizeAfterRepair.JPG
BIDBSizeAfterRepair.JPG (64.97 KiB) Viewed 82337 times