Anyone done any measurements on using small New on SSD?

louyo

Anyone done any measurements on using small New on SSD?

Post by louyo »

New on SSD drive overflowing to Stored on spinny-go-round drive. Has anyone measured the advantage? I have a 40GB New folder on the system SSD and Stored folder on an 18TB drive, 13 cameras with 11 recording full time. Thinking about just storing to the 18TB drive, no Stored folder. It seems like it moves stuff a lot with that small an SSD folder. Maybe shooting myself in the foot. Also worrying a little about wear on the SSD.
TimG

Re: Anyone done any measurements on using small New on SSD?

Post by TimG »

Hi, if your spinning drive can handle cctv then I would just try it. If it can't then maybe having an intermediary drive is a good idea. However I wouldn't put "New" on the system drive for a couple of reasons, the first being the inevitable wear, and the second being the possibility that a BI5 storage allocation or "New" error could disable the pc. Add another drive. Windows is perfectly capable of destroying itself without any help :?

I doubt the size of the "New" folder matters much - as long as it is big enough to hold one full clip file for each camera with a bit spare - as it must end up being like a tube, i.e. you push something in one end and something else pops out of the other end. It doesn't matter how long the tube is.

I do use old pre-used SSD's for "New", "Alerts" and the db, and I can now see week by week the health of the present SSD declining. I assume it was using up hidden blocks until it ran out, so now it's down hill all the way. These are 250GB drives removed from other pc's as they were upgraded. I have another old 250GB SSD drive that will replace it when it gets below 50% health.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

As already pointed out, 40gb and in the OS drive, it would be a no from me.

I write direct to 2 hard drives and have never had any problems or issue viewing clips.
louyo

Post by louyo »

Yup, thanks. That was supposed to be temporary but, well, you know, um, well, um, and then, and um and like that. :roll: I will copy about half of stored to external and then move New in stages rebuilding the db as it goes.
About 15TB in Stored now. They want to store 5 or 6 months worth, goes back to April now.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

If the video will eventually get to the spindles, what is the benefit of keeping the most recent x minutes or gbs on the ssd? Might as well just go straight to the spindle and be done with it. I would imagine moving from one directory to another on the same drive is actually an administrative pointer resetting and not actually moving the data.