Crashing service / console - appears to be memory leak

JonathanT83

Crashing service / console - appears to be memory leak

Post by JonathanT83 »

So we have had BI5 running for sometime now (2 years apx). When we first set it up we had horrific numerous crashes that appeared to be storage related, but after a few updates of BI the issue went away and we have been happily ticking along running continuously without any major intervention.

I have just recently started to see crashes happening (we monitor the console as a viewer). The last couple of days the amount of crashes seems to have risen to every 30mins.

It looks like it is a memory leak issue as in the windows event viewer I am seeing lots of 'system resource exhaustion' errors:
2004: Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The
following programs consumed the most virtual memory: BlueIris.exe (4792)
consumed 7587278848 bytes, BlueIris.exe (15884) consumed 1992241152 bytes, and
MsMpEng.exe (4080) consumed 293117952 bytes.
I also get:
7031: The Blue Iris Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1
time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds:
Restart the service.
Initially I had the virtual memory set to system controlled, and I was seeing the amount of memory in the errors exceeding 36GB. I have physically turned in to manual and set the allocation to 4GB just to see what happens..

I then also see the following error under Applications:
Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.7.9.6, time stamp:
0x64dfd552
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.7.9.6, time stamp: 0x64dfd552
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000012d1380
Faulting process id: 0x0x21EC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9D4E6EAFD1B77
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: b8b7e252-94eb-40d5-8031-8af18cc32b79
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
This error code also points to a memory issue.

It all starts with the system becoming laggy, followed by the BI console freezing the live video. I can go full screen, switch back and fourth like its working but all streams are stuck. The next phase is I loose the desktop icons and taskbar. Ctrl-Alt-Del makes the PC effectively black screen and its then completely crashed. Power button hard off is the only way to recover it.

I havent changed any of the settings for the cameras or the software. We are D2D, Intel HA on two 8mp cameras, etc. All the same.

FYI: I am running 21 cameras on a Dell Optiplex (i5-10505 cpu, 16GB ram, Win 11Pro, 6TB storage drive and an NVMe for OS / BI-db).

I have ran scans on both HDD in case its a failure of one of them, all shows OK. I have also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool - that also came back with no errors.

I have update all of the drivers on the system including the intel chipset / UHD graphics drivers (I saw that a lot older version had memory leak issues) and no difference.

I have sat in front of the screen with task manager open and can watch the memory usage go from around 25% up to 90% and then things start to go, once it hits 98% its effectively crashed.

I can confirm from watching it under process view that the memory culprit is BI - its gets higher and higher.

I open to suggetions as to where to look before I submit a ticket as I'm hoping that this may be some simple to solves?

I have found one other oddity in the console - I had all my cameras set to 15FPS max to help with load, for some reason I cant seem to manually set this any more. I set it, then go back in and its change to a random value such as 17fps or 19fps.. dont get that one but I dont think thats causing the issue.

At this point im contemplating a system restore back to factory settings ad then reinstalling BI but that seems drastic!
TimG

Re: Crashing service / console - appears to be memory leak

Post by TimG »

Hi, my first thought is that you may have anti-virus looking at the BI5 folders and using up memory. The help file states:

Antivirus. These monitor files or folders for changes, looking for threats. These may interfere by locking files which Blue Iris is actively modifying or attempting to delete. For smooth and efficient software operation, you should exempt the database and clips storage folders. Blue Iris never creates or uses executable code in these folders.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

If your not already, try running BI as a service.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

MikeBwca wrote:If your not already, try running BI as a service.
They are already running BI as a service judging by one of event log snippets above.

No idea why it just started but start by disabling HA on the system and each cam to see if that helps?
JonathanT83

Post by JonathanT83 »

Hi.

Sorry, meant to say its running as a service.

I disabled all the cameras and re-enabled the ones running HA before I went home last night, I have come in this morning to find the system is still happily running.

I have re-enabled 4 cameras this morning and will see what effect that has.
JonathanT83

Post by JonathanT83 »

So, a little update..

I asked the same question on another forum and someone pointed out that even though Windows Defender was meant to be disabled, it was still running as the recognised they application name on one of my error logs.. I have since found out that using group policy editor no longer disables Windows Defender in W11.. apparently it comes back on a reboot.

I have found another permanent method that works. Defender is not running and not even accessible via settings!

I disabled all the cameras again and I have re-enabled 4 cameras at a time and so far it has been ok. I am now running all cameras again and it has been stable. It looks like the culprit may have been Windows Defender..

Will post back after a little while of running!
TimG

Post by TimG »

Thank you for the feedback and the information. Hope it all stays working well :!:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

JonathanT83 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:15 pm ...
I have found another permanent method that works. Defender is not running and not even accessible via settings!
Windows defender has always been a pain in my side.

Could you post this information in the 'PC Configuration' section?