Lost settings in v5 after uninstalling v4

neek

Lost settings in v5 after uninstalling v4

Post by neek »

Hi, I got v5 up and running yesterday. All went well and BlueIris 5 said I could uninstall v4, but not to uninstall the settings, so that's what I did. Today I have no settings in v5, so obviously I did something wrong (or there's a bug in the uninstall script). I have a ~1MB backup_upgrade_50.reg file but I can't import it into RegEdit (it says "the key selected is invalid"). The file is a binary reg file so it's not easily readable for me to figure out what's wrong.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
reddawg

Re: Lost settings in v5 after uninstalling v4

Post by reddawg »

neek wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:24 am Hi, I got v5 up and running yesterday. All went well and BlueIris 5 said I could uninstall v4, but not to uninstall the settings, so that's what I did. Today I have no settings in v5, so obviously I did something wrong (or there's a bug in the uninstall script). I have a ~1MB backup_upgrade_50.reg file but I can't import it into RegEdit (it says "the key selected is invalid"). The file is a binary reg file so it's not easily readable for me to figure out what's wrong.
Yes, many of us have been bitten by the same problem after uninstalling BI4. This is a bug in the BI4 uninstaller. What saved me was that I made a backup of BI5 settings before uninstalled BI4 by clicking on "Export Settings" in Settings -> About tab. I re-imported this file "blue iris.reg" in BI5 Settings -> About tab.

There is a README.txt file in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5 that explains how to recover from this problem.

If you are upgrading from version 4, a file backup_upgrade_50.reg is created in the
Blue Iris folder. If your cameras and other settings are deleted when you uninstall
version 4, you may re-import these settings using the Import button on Settings.

From what you described, it appears that that BI5 import feature is not accepting this file. If it was a complete registry backup of BI5 settings, then the BI5 export settings file would be about 4MB. So, it appears to be a partial backup or did not complete properly.

See if there is a "backup.reg" file in the C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5 folder. This is a complete backup of BI5 settings. If the "Auto Export" option is checked, it will create up to 3 backup files (backup.reg, backup2.reg, backup3.reg) from different days. if they exist, try re-importing the oldest file, which should be "Backup.reg". If you have no backup files (Blue Iris.reg, Backup.reg), then I would contact Ken at support@blueirissoftware.com and see if he has a solution.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
neek

Re: Lost settings in v5 after uninstalling v4

Post by neek »

Awesome, thank you! I saw some notice about deleting BI4 but didn't read it closely since the software has been pretty bulletproof for me so far. I appreciate your pointer to the Settings -> About, that's what I was looking for.